Honda Foreman Forums banner

2915 Rubicon ES question

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  scz71864 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 Rubicon DTC ES and auto transmission. The question, when in ES mode and at a stop should I be able to shif up to 2nd or 3rd before moving. I can not. If I try it goes to 2nd and right back to 1str. If I try this two or three times it shows a dash mark on the display. I have asked the Honda dealer this question and have recieved different answeres depending on who I ask. The other question I have, when in ES mode and 5th gear and begin to slow down the transmission shifts down depending on speed and will go all the way to 1st gear if I come to a complete stop. I thougt it would stop at 3rd gear. Mabey this is all normal. The machine is 150 miles from a dealer and I do not want to bring into the dealer if this is norma operation. If anyone has a 2015 Rubicon that could verify this it would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Larry

#2 ·
mines done pretty well when iv had it in the ES mode. Im pretty sure i can start in 2nd. 1st is to low for me sometimes. Ill mess with it tomorrow and let you know. It may not go in 3rd, but like i said i think i can start in 2nd.

#4 ·
My DCT is the same way, I called and asked a buddy and his is the same.

#5 ·
Mine is the same way . In es mode it will down shift on its own to first gear when I stop . I haven't tried to take off in any other gear than first so that part I can not answer but when I get home from work I will try .

#6 ·
I know mine will downshift on its own, but i think the OP was asking if you can start from a stop in another gear other than first.

#7 ·
Mine will downshift into 2nd gear if in high range, but low range it will downshift into 1st. Also in low range it won't hold a higher gear unless the RPMS are high enough, it will constantly shift down a gear.
My old 420AT in ES mode would downshift to 3rd gear though.

#8 ·
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my questions about my 2015 Rubicon. From the responses that I received, I believe it is normal for it to shift down to first when coming to a stop. The question of being able to take off in 2nd or higher gears is still questionable. If someone can answer this I would be grateful.

#9 ·
Oh s**t ,Iknew I was supposed to do something when I got home last night. I will try and remember to check mine when I get home tonite.

#10 ·
read the owners manual... haha

#11 ·
That kinda sucks in my opinion. I know they try to idiot proof everything now, but not being able to pick your gear even in ESP sucks.

Reactions: duffy351
#13 ·
theres no shortage of idiots riding quads!!! personally I like the idea of the transmission protecting itself by not allowing "stupidity downshifts". you know the kind... hit a bump doing 40mph and accidentally force the tranny into 1st gear type of thing. I dont even mind the idea of it automatically going to 1st when I come to a stop provided I can force a pull away in 2nd... the esp on the hondamatics allow this. someone can correct me if Im wrong.... but I dont recall my hondamatic forcing the downshift until I come to a stop. its been 7 months since I rode my rubi.... that will change this weekend though. the snow is finishing up melting here and most of the trails are clear! woohoooo

#15 ·
Honest question, not trying to be a smart butt at all, but why would you want to start off in a higher gear? Making the clutch work more and slip more to do the same thing isn't all that healthy for the centrifugal clutch shoes and drum in the long run.

#17 ·
The question of why would I want to use 2nd or higher gear to start, has been asked. The answer is, sometimes you do not need the power that is applied to the wheels in low. Just as some car automatic transmissions can lock 1st gear out and start in 2nd. More importantly if the machine is designed to start out in higher gears and it won’t then there is a problem that I want Honda to fix. I have asked two Honda dealers this question and have not received a definitive answer as yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.