Honda Foreman Forums banner

New snow plow for 2015 Rubicon

10K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  hendyj18 
#1 ·
I sold my Rancher 400 with plow and upgraded to a new Rubicon. I'm considering a new plow now and looking for some suggestions from the group. I thought about a Boss but couldn't justify the cost. I just got a Warn Provantage 2500s winch and looking at options for a plow. Has anyone tried out the 60 inch Cycle Country Poly plow? I've always had a steel plow and I'm worried that the Poly plow won't be heavy enough to get a clean scrape. I'm considering push tubes with a front mount. I looked at a Moose setup but they didn't seemed to have an RM4 front mount system for the Rubicon. Does anyone with a Rubi have a front mount Moose? Any other ideas. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!

#2 ·
there are a lot of good plows out there today, Front mounts are way more user friendly, BUT mid mount is still a stronger set up, even with its down falls!

the issue I see with front mount plows is, they place all weight on front end and as such, MORE STress than what a mid mount has, NOT enough to cry over, but it does add more to JUST the front ends
MOST guts that get front mounts, tend to upgrade there front shocks to HD shocks, to help off set the added weight of the plows with front mounts, where as MID mount guys seem OK< with OEM shocks
good news is when you buy better front shocks, you get better front shocks, and can benefit from them all yr, but there an added costs to a plow.front mount plow that is?

As for polly plow blades, IF you have a smooth paved or cement driveway, I think you will be fine, PUSHING SNOW< that is, BUT you won't be back plowing much due to the lighter weight.
I have a steel moose plow blade and have it for 15+ yrs now, been rock solid, replaced about 5 wear bars over the yrs as I plow a LOT!

SO, I guess it comes down to how much snow you plow, if you do a LOT,. I'd get a steel blade
if only a little now and then, a polly might be just fine for you

#3 ·
I think I'm going to go with a 54 inch Cycle Country steel plow with front mount. I live in PA like you and have a real long drive so I guess steel would do better. I'd like to get a Moose but they don't seem to have a setup that fits a 2015 Rubicon.

#4 ·
I run a 60" Moose on my 420 and wouldn't think about going any smaller. The season should be about over and the new stuff will be coming to the market for the new models. I ran Cycle Country back in the 90's and they was good blades. I've been using my Moose for probably the last 15 years also and it has held up great. I did 4 years of commercial plowing with it as well as using it for the business and my personal uses. I beat the crap out of it and still do to this day.

#5 ·
I,AGREE get a 60 inch blade, NO reason to go smaller, I have a 60 on an old 400 foreman and it plows like a dozer, at times I wish it was bigger, never smaller.
I used my plow all yr too, last summer I moved 80 ton of gravel. And countless logs and piles of brush and leaves and branches. Its been abused, and like I said, if ALL you plan to do is plow snow, a front mount is fine, IF your going to abuse it other ways, get a mid mount, much stronger set up, and less stress on atv. Too IMO

#6 ·
I would not be afraid to have a poly plow. Mine was custom made by a friend of mine. Made from angle iron and the poly is from plastic 55 gallon drums. Plows excellent and is easy on front end. Used it for 5 years and gonna adapt it to my new Rubicon. The only thing it might be light for is heavy back blading.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I ordered a front mounted Cycle Country 60 inch blade. No my next question is on the winch. I ordered and received a Warn Provantage 2500s. Looking over the directions that came with the winch it tells me always to spool from the bottom of the winch. However, in the Warn mount box it tells me "with this installation to spool from the top". Does anyone know why it would tell me to spool from the top. Is it okay to spool from the top? Maybe I need to take a look at some other threads. Again, thanks.

#9 ·
I'm sure that you get more snow than we do up there in Canada. My drive is also a little longer than a 1/4 mile and steep with 2 pretty big turnaround areas. I found out why Warn is telling me on the mount instructions to spool from the top. They have you mounting the winch upside down on the Rubicon so top is actually bottom. I'm waiting for the plow mount to arrive so I can put that in at the same time as the winch while I have the front apart.

#10 ·
I was thinking maybe in a normal mount deal, having wire rope spool off the top, over the button, would have less bend to it, not much a difference, but??
The name of the game in plowing snow on long drives is to stay on top, and plowbefore it gets too deep, and. Plow a LOT wider than you need it, so come more and more snow falls thru winter, you have room to plow and push snow .
Good luck

#11 ·
Your right about staying on top of the snow. We 2 snows this winter where it rained on the top of several inches. By the following morning there was 2 inches of ice. It's too late then cause the plow goes right over the top of it. Took me all day to chip it off the drive via shovel. Never again!

#12 ·
been there done that, when ever I seen a warm up is called for and its snowing, I PLOW now, rather plow 3 times than work all day at a thick heavy layer of ice wet snow on top of a few inches LOL

, had a 12 of snow fall a few weeks ago, and then warmed up to like 45 over night with some rain, I plowed in the wet snow, and next day, anyone that didn't was struggling like mad , with trucks and bobcats even LOL
SO< yup staying on top of it can make life a lot easier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.