Honda Foreman Forums banner

2004 Rubicon

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  All_Honda 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the site. Im looking at a 04 Rubicon. From what I've read they're a great ATV for work and that's what I'm looking for. I sometimes overload my recon lol. Anyway, from what I've read the only thing people don't like is the full-time 4x4 but looks like there's a kit to disconnect the front drive line.
My questions- How is the steering and handling with the fulltime 4wd? I drove a really old 4x4 ATV a long time ago and hated it because steering was a pain and it just didn't handle well over all. Are the Rubicon's like that?
Q#2- Are the full time 4wd's a lot harder on fuel Eco?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
If everything is working like it's suppose to the steering isn't bad at all. If a ball joint or steering bearing is hanging up a little then they get tougher to steer. The bigger atv itself is harder on fuel, being a full time doesn't make much difference.

#3 ·
OK thanks, yea I expect it do do worse on fuel than what I have already as that's a 600lb ATV and 500cc but as long as it does reasonable with the 4wd should be fine. Ive read that the 500's do reasonabe on fuel Eco for what they are. I get anywhere from 35 to close to 50+ mpg with the recon and EX but I've heard 20-30+ on Rubicon's which is ok I guess.

#4 ·
And that's good to hear on the steering too.

#5 ·
One more question. How is the ride compared to say a mid 2000's and newer rancher 4x2 and a recon?
My recon will beat you to death but the ranchers I've riden ride like a luxery sedan compared to the recon. Just curious on the Rubicon's

#6 ·
Stock mine rode pretty good for a SRA, better then my SRA 420 did for sure.

#7 ·
That's good to hear, I've riden a relatives '13 420 and I thought it rode really good compared to my recon.

#9 ·
That makes sense. The weight and bigger tires probably helps too.

#10 ·
Thought let y'all know I decided to give a 420 rancher es a try for now. For what I'll use it for I believe it will do fine. If I end up needing 4x4 I might look back into the Rubicon's again, at least I have some knowledge on them now for future reference. Thanks for the replys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.