Rubicon stalling - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Rubicon stalling

Hello

I purchased a new 2012 Rubicon this past may, from day one it has been stalling every time you let off the throttle or give any kind of gas. My Honda dealer told me it is because i use a jerrycan to fuel my quad. they cleaned out the fuel system and as per their instruction i fuel up at the pump every time and the issue is getting worse, does not matter how long i run the engine, hot or cold it stalls. It has been noting but fights and numerous visits to Honda, my next step is travel 2 hours to the next nearest dealership, but maybe someone on here can give me some ideas as to what the issue may be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hendo931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Well, a Rubi is still carbed, so sounds like your getting bad gas or something is out of adjustment. You always get gas at the same place?

If the dealership can't figure out a carb, I'd take it to another dealership.

There's an idle adjustment on the carb, you could try idling it up a bit, but it sounds to me like your carb needs to be cleaned. If they really cleaned out your fuel system that should have fixed it.

Other thing is the pilot screw on the bottom that could be adjusted, but again, the dealership should have figured that one out too.
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

"The Wreck"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Executioners on Rubicon rims Perfex
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

"The Project"
2006 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Titan 589's Perfex
2500 Viper Classic Winch

"The Flip"
2007 Rancher 420FM Camo
Currently being rebuilt

"The Chickmobile"
2009 Rancher AT Camo
Sunk, waiting on a rebuild
jeepwm69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Is the choke working like it should? Does having the choke pulled just a little help with the running problem? Air filter clean? Not knowing how many miles you have on it... Has the valve tappets been adjusted? What type of fuel (ethanol mix) are you using?

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Well, a Rubi is still carbed, so sounds like your getting bad gas or something is out of adjustment. You always get gas at the same place?

If the dealership can't figure out a carb, I'd take it to another dealership.

There's an idle adjustment on the carb, you could try idling it up a bit, but it sounds to me like your carb needs to be cleaned. If they really cleaned out your fuel system that should have fixed it.

Other thing is the pilot screw on the bottom that could be adjusted, but again, the dealership should have figured that one out too.
The dealership suggested i have the carb cleaned but after that the problem continues. the idle screw makes absolutely no difference, i turn it either way and there is no change in sound or function. i have put more tension on the throttle cable to keep it reving so i don't stall but that's only a temporary solution. i don't always use the same gas station, so i don't think bad gas is the issue. this has been an issue since the day i brought it home and its getting worse.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Is the choke working like it should? Does having the choke pulled just a little help with the running problem? Air filter clean? Not knowing how many miles you have on it... Has the valve tappets been adjusted? What type of fuel (ethanol mix) are you using?
the choke is working and at times i have to keep the choke open while riding or i stall the second i let off the throttle. air filter was cleaned last week along with the carb. i have just under 1,000km on the quad. i stared out using Regular (not sure the ethanol content, i think 10% but has an octane rating of 87) but i have switched to Premium (octane rating of 93) as suggested by fellow riders.

Last edited by Hendo931; 11-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

take the gas line off and set the end of it into a cup. turn the petcock from off to on to reserve. If you are only getting drips in one or both modes,blow into the fuel line to try and see if there is a block. Sounds like if anything it is a gas issue. Choke would all the engine suction to help pull the full from the tank, so would higher RPM
skidooextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement