04 TRX400fga Rancher AT wont shift out of first - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Exclamation 04 TRX400fga Rancher AT wont shift out of first

Hi I'm new to forums be reading lots of possibly use full info but unfortunently it doesn't help me at all. i have recently Replaced the TPs sensor and the Angle sensor but my quad still wont shift out of first gear. im doing all the work myself and last week it ran fine but monday went to get on to ride started up and on the dash it showed (--) 4 blinks so yesterday i changed the parts out ( angle ensor and TPs sensor) still no shift was installed but honda's over the phone support telling me how to install. when reseting the code it throws.
i complete step 9 and nothing happens after that anyone know another way to rest codes or why this isn't letting me go further? any help would id be super greatfull
beanpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. Did you preload (install correctly) the angle sensor. If it's not installed correctly it will automatically go into the safe mode and give you the problems your having. Also did you ohm the TP sensor when installing it?

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

for the 04 it didnt say anything about preloading the angle sensor.
as far as the TP sensor how do i ohm( dont know what that means) it.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

ok just found info on how to preload doing so as soon as i send this message
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

its been preloaded but i need to know about the ohm stuff please help im desperate
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpole View Post
its been preloaded but i need to know about the ohm stuff please help im desperate
Ohmming a sensor just means checking the resistance of the sensor by using an ohmmeter. If you have the factory service manual, page 24-41 will show you how to check the TPS.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

i did that and it still wouldnt shift but i did take a hammer to the shifting mechinism while riding in first and it started shifting. now it shifts anytime with a hammer with me all i got to do is when i start it up get it to shift and i just wont turn it off... for now i have plans to replace what ever is making it not shift but now i can ride just need a flat head and a hammer that will stay with me at all times if and when i go riding... lol
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

if your hitting the shift motor i think you need to rebuild it (rust and crap in it )if it is rebuildable?or e-bay......a hammer thats classic man lol
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich450es View Post
if your hitting the shift motor i think you need to rebuild it (rust and crap in it )if it is rebuildable?or e-bay......a hammer thats classic man lol
Yeah, I agree. And don't hit too hard or you will break a magnet inside and lock the shift motor up.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

i wouldnt shift this morning so i hit it a little harder and well now i had to buy a new shift motor. i took it to the local shop and there like did u get pissed at it, i said yes and there like ur just like ur father they showed me the one before so its not the first time this has happend aparently... they put a fresh one on for an arm and a leg and it still wouldnt shift so i left it there and said if ya get it fixed by midnight tonight ill pay an extra $200. i just got back with it and it ran great but un fortunently i think i have to buy new suspention... i jumped it over my road(ditch to ditch) and now the fram sits about 2 inches off the ground... new name for my quad Money Pit

also any great suspentions that can handle be ran into hll and back that wont give out from a 14 foot jump in length 3 foot in height?

Last edited by beanpole; 05-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement