'06 400 AT Slippage? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Question '06 400 AT Slippage?

So my '06 400 AT appears to be slipping. It happens sporadically but always 'under load'... usually when accelerating, climbing a hill, trying to get out of a mudhole, etc.

It'll "slip" as if in neutral and makes a ratcheting kind of noise, then eventually catches again if I let off the throttle. My oil is topped off and as far as I know my fan is working (unless it died recently).

At this point I'm considering trading it in at a dealer just to avoid costly tranny repairs. Anybody have any insight on "easy" things to check before going full-force into clutch replacement, etc.? The bike has 5,750 miles so I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it.

Is this scenario (ratcheting noise in particular) typical of clutch slippage?
Moose full-body skid plates
PIAA Xtreme White lights
2,000lb Superwinch
48" Snow Bear Plow
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

My 04 had a slipping problem. When you would slow down and they try to go it would not go anywhere. Here when I called the dealer there was a recall for something in the clutch. Don't really remember but it might be worth a check to see if you have any recalls on your vin?
happyeaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Lover

The recall was for the 04 I believe only, unfortunately my AT that was burning up clutches left and right was an 05, but alas she's gone not my headache anymore!!!
HL 2" Lift
Rode hard and put up wet...

05 400AT spawn child of satan - Sold That SOB

Got another **** 04 400AT couldnt beat the price 300 bucks!
Shutitdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I don't know if I want to sell this off privately knowing the transmission is slipping. I would be knocking on the guy's door that sold it to me and I don't need that hassle. I'm thinking dealer trade-in on a newer used bike... preferably a Rincon or Grizzly...

The odd thing is it didn't do it all winter. Seems temperature related too....
PIAA Xtreme White lights
2,000lb Superwinch
48" Snow Bear Plow
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Yeah well all was disclosed when I sold this thing, **** I only took 1000 for it, if I had the patience I probably could have parted it out for over 2K
HL 2" Lift

Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Addict

How is it in ESP Mode? Does it make the same noise? I did not know the recall was for the 04 model year only. Just throwing out an ideas.
happyeaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Its weird before I sold it I swapped the oil in it just for the **** of it, I rode it around the neighborhood a few times in ESP and it was fine.. no problems at all.. then it always seemed to happen when it got hot it would just start slipping.. at any rate the guy i sold it to ordered new weights and bell-housing for the clutch and got the parts friday so sunday we slapped it all back together with the new HL clutch kit springs back in it threw some oil in it and he rode it around the neighborhood for a good 20 minutes and it seemed fine... I did take a airhose to the oil cooler just to blow it through and make sure there wasnt a blockage in it, and a big gob of sh!t flew out but I couldnt find it to see if that was maybe something blocking up the oil cooler.. sooo far soo good I'll let ya know if something happens the weekend of the 1st
HL 2" Lift

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

hi i have the same issue in my 2006 rancher 400 bike and i was wondering if anyone has solved this issue?

2006 rancher 400

26 swamplites
1 inch lift
mmttcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

The description you gave sounds EXACTLY like what was happening to me.

A lot of people are going on about clutches and recalls, etc.... You might not have anything that severe wrong. You know what the problem was for my dumbass??? OIL!!!!

My oil got low enough that the pressure dropped to the point that the transmission was not able to fully engage into gear under certain conditions. I have no idea what happened, buy my oil got well under the full mark and that's when I had issues. Since then I always keep my oil topped up and I've never had that problem again. It pulls strong all the time. Luckily the transmission is tough and I didn't fry it.

This machine has the engine and tranny integrated (using the same oil) as I'm sure you're aware. I just wasn't aware just how critical the oil pressure is to the proper running of the transmission. Keeping it within the fill lines is critical.

If you haven't changed your filter and oil in a while (or don't know when they were changed last), I'd start with that. Make absolutely sure you get your oil at the right level (the user manual explains how to check it - take it for a 5 minute run in gear and then sit for 2 or something like that).

Hopefully that's all it is for you too. A slap on the forehead and "DOH" moment was way better than opening up my wallet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmttcc View Post
hi i have the same issue in my 2006 rancher 400 bike and i was wondering if anyone has solved this issue?

2006 rancher 400

26 swamplites
1 inch lift
PIAA Xtreme White lights
2,000lb Superwinch
48" Snow Bear Plow
Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Check your hand shifter Mechanism?

Hello,

I recently had the same sort of issue with my 07 Rancher. I traced it back to the Large spring that is connected to the hand shifter next to the fuel tank and pushes and pulls on the end of the shifter cable. Mine had managed to skip off the end of the clevis pin on the end of the shifter cable and wasn't properly manipulating the cable anymore. This resulted in a partial gear engagement. Under load this would cause the gears to come out of mesh.

To check this remove the plastic covers over the hand shifter mechanism and verify Sprin position at Shifter cable (Forward part of shifter mechanism).

Hope this helps. Low oil level is never a good thing either and will cause the hydrostatic transmission to 'slip'.

Brent.
Brentl60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement