08 Rancher Rear Axle Removal Instructions - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 08 Rancher Rear Axle Removal Instructions

Hey guys, great forum you got here, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on how to remove an 08 Rancher rear axle. Mines bent.

Can anyone tell me the high points, point me to a "how to" or maybe send me that part of the service manual? I've already got the new axle but wanted to see some instruction before I try it.

Thanks!
SliderZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Welcome to the forum. The weekend is a bad time to get info. Give it a couple days someone will be able to help. We need to know if it is a IRS or not. And what happened? Everyone loves a good story.
27" Maxxis Zillas
2" Gorilla Lift
Richocett Swing Arm Skid Plate
2" Snorkle
HMF Swamp Series
UniFilter
Rejet
Custom Speaker Box
Powermadd Black Hand Guards
Ammo cans

2007 Rancher ES Red 750 Miles
ITP 108 Machined SS Rims
Rubicon stock tires
2 Up Rear Box
Gauntlet3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks for the welcome!

My 22 year old daughter and her 24 year old boyfriend strap down their 4 wheelers on the back of his flat bed truck at about 10:30 PM Saturday night to go 4 wheeling at the local spot a few weeks ago. When they left the house they had two 4 wheelers...when they got there they had one.

My Daughters boyfriend gets out, walks to the back of the truck, then returns to the front and tells my daughter, "your 4 wheelers gone." Of course her answer is, "no its not." Once she realizes it really IS gone...

He unloads his and jumps on it backtracking. About a half mile back there it sits on the side of the road on the tires! Bent left front lower A arm, bent rear axle, bent left front rim, bent left rear rim.

Started up and ran just fine...just did'nt roll to well or stear to straight.

Its a TRX420FE by the way.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

That sucks man. I bet you were pissed off. I also bet there was a class on how to tie down a wheeler after that. Where are you from? I changed out my stock tires/wheels from my 07 rancher and probably would let them go because they are just taking up space. Only about 500 miles on the tires and wheels. Not sure about the shipping costs.
27" Maxxis Zillas
2" Gorilla Lift
2" Snorkle
HMF Swamp Series
UniFilter
Rejet
Custom Speaker Box
Ammo cans

ITP 108 Machined SS Rims
Rubicon stock tires
2 Up Rear Box
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

This is the only thing in the how to section that is remotely similar. Someone else will speak up though.
http://www.hondaforeman.com/144-how/...-bearings.html
27" Maxxis Zillas
2" Gorilla Lift
2" Snorkle
HMF Swamp Series
UniFilter
Rejet
Custom Speaker Box
Ammo cans

ITP 108 Machined SS Rims
Rubicon stock tires
2 Up Rear Box
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

The hardest part is removing the axle nuts. You'll want to do this with everything still on the machine (tires, hubs, brakes). Once you get the axle nuts on both sides loose then you can jack it up and start removing the wheels and hubs (30mm on the hub nuts). The rear brake has to be removed, once you remove the axle nuts on that side and washers there is an o-ring that sits between the axle and the brake drum - remove that. Take the cables and vent line off and remove the 4 nuts on the brake panel (if the brakes need work take them completely apart). You should be able to slide the brake assembly off of the axle (might take a few taps from a hammer to get it started).

On the left side remove the wheel, hub, axle nuts, washer, spacer and there is another o-ring between the axle and the differential gear splines but that one is sometimes tough to get out. With the o-ring removed or not you should be able to pull the axle out towards the brake side and go back together.

Welcome to the forum. If you need anything else just let us know.
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks for the help and offer on the wheels. I already had all the parts and got everything swapped out tonight. I thought it was going to be good to go but...it pulls to the left. I started looking a little closer and see that the rear mount on the frame for the front left upper a arm is bent. I tried to "overcome" it by adjusting the steering linkage which helped but the steering geometry is screwed up. I seems when the front left is compressed the wheel turns out at the same time.

That sucks because I'm worried now that even if I can get the a arm mount straight it will be weak and most likely will bend again in the same spot if it hits something just right.

Anybody ever straighten an a arm mount? Did it stay straight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement