rear brakes need adjusting//how?? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Default rear brakes need adjusting//how??

Are the rear brakes on a rancher as easy as just turning the wing nuts in to tighten them up. The fronts will stop me on a dime but the rears either need to be adjusted or replaced
2500 pound winch

Suzuki 2006 eiger 4x4
3000 pound winch
laserdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

My 03 foreman es has adjusting wing nuts, inside of the right rear tire.
1 for the front,1 for the rear brakes. Just turn the adjuster so the rear tire spins a couple of times freely, then stops.( have to lift the rear of the bike). If the brakes need to be replaced, check out cheapcycleparts.com for a diagram of your rear brake system. Good luck...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

The top nut is for the park brake and the bottom is for the foot brake.
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Addict

park brake works fine.
I had my son pull in on the hand brake and the indicator is no where near the little triangle indicating that they need replacement.
Do I turn that bottom wing nut to adjust it on does it only control how much play is on the foot pedal and does not tighten up the brake itself???
2500 pound winch

Suzuki 2006 eiger 4x4
3000 pound winch
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Addict

The hand lever and foot pedal actuate the same lever on the brake. There's no overall adjustment on the brake shoe lever, only the amount of free play in the cables for the hand lever and pedal. As stated above, the top wing nut adjusts the freeplay in the hand lever. This should be adjusted to give the lever a freeplay of 9/16" to 13/16" when measured from the end of the lever. The bottom wing nut adjusts the freeplay in the brake pedal. This should be adjusted to give you the same amount of freeplay as the hand lever when measured from the end of the brake pedal.

If the freeplay on both levers is set and the brake shoe wear indicator does not indicate worn brake shoes (as you've stated), the only other thing I can think of that would degrade your rear braking is water trapped in the drum. You can check this by pulling the drain bolt on the bottom/inside of the drum. If water comes out, then you probably need new seals.

Hope this helps.
2007 Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4 - 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns, Xtreme 3" lift, RT2500 Winch, Twin Air filter, RAM GPS mount, Lowrance GPS, Plano ATV storage box, 2 - Playmate coolers and a RAM self-leveling beer holder
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 Max - 26" Bighorns, 200 watt audio tube by Sooner, BRP rear storage box
2007 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES (red), 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns (Sold)
2007 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES (yellow), 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns (Sold)
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
The hand lever and foot pedal actuate the same lever on the brake. There's no overall adjustment on the brake shoe lever, only the amount of free play in the cables for the hand lever and pedal. As stated above, the top wing nut adjusts the freeplay in the hand lever. This should be adjusted to give the lever a freeplay of 9/16" to 13/16" when measured from the end of the lever. The bottom wing nut adjusts the freeplay in the brake pedal. This should be adjusted to give you the same amount of freeplay as the hand lever when measured from the end of the brake pedal.

If the freeplay on both levers is set and the brake shoe wear indicator does not indicate worn brake shoes (as you've stated), the only other thing I can think of that would degrade your rear braking is water trapped in the drum. You can check this by pulling the drain bolt on the bottom/inside of the drum. If water comes out, then you probably need new seals.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the hint. I will check it today
2500 pound winch

Suzuki 2006 eiger 4x4
3000 pound winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement