Need help with 350, main fuse keeps blowing - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Need help with 350, main fuse keeps blowing

Hi folks, my uncle bought a Fourtrax 350 and we're having a bit of a problem. Its a 2005 bike with 1000 hrs approx and we have it 2 days.

Anyway, we noticed the rear brake lights were sticking and not switching off with the button for switching off the lights, however they would go off when you took the key out. Then, when driving the bike, i pulled up beside my mates quad in 2nd gear and my quad just died whilst I was stationary/ideling.

The ignition was not switching on or the dash, etc.... We checked fuses, and the main 30amp fuse seems to be blowing, when we try to put the fuse back in its sparking and frying the fuse. We checked the wires and they all seem fine, checked the starter motor wire leading to it, etc..... All the main cables seem to be ok. Its even frying a 10/15 amp fuse, we basically cant put a fuse back in here.

We didnt strip any of the main cables to check the wires within the insulation themselves,,,, but before we have to start that desperate process, can anyone here give us some tips or advice on what may be causing this problem?

We couldnt see any wires which might be hitting the frame or anything that looked worn.

What else can we check, or how do we diagnose this issue to a particular thing?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies!
nuttzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

my neighbor had the same problem. on hers it was the wiring to the headlights. a rat or something had chewed them. make sure to check all the wiring. and also you may want to unplug the brake light switch and see if that helps.
hillbillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Cheers for the reply.
We tried to put the fuse in whilst disabling the switch for the brake lights but, it still kept frying the minute we put it half way in.

We're going to check the starter motor cable under the airbox and check that.

Something is making the whole bike live,,, basically without the keys even in the ignition, as soon as we try to put in the main fuse, the fuse is sparking.

Any more ideas?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

I would try the regulator/rectifier
Honda Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

The lad we bought it off checked it out tonight, it was the regulator, cheers "Honda-Mechanic"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement