Honda Foreman Forums banner

Leaky 350 Rancher carbs.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EasyDuzit 
#1 ·
Rebuilt a 350 Rancher for my neighbor. He got two basketcases for $300. I took the best of both and put them together into one rig.
I'm down to the carb. Everything else is ready to go.

I have now tried both OEM carbs. They've been cleaned (boiled in lemon juice) and I put a rebuild kit in one of them and it leaked gas from the overflow. Steady stream. I've polished the seat till it shines, new needle was in the kit, still leaks.

Swapped the new needle over to the other carb, after polishing the seat on that carb too. Same thing. Leaks.

Have tried two different floats and get the same result on both carbs.

I've now ordered new needles to eliminate that as a possibility, but is there anything else that could be causing enough of a fuel flow into the carb to overwhelm the float and leak out of the overflow?

I checked using air pressure on the drain nipple on the bottom of the bowl to make sure the drain screw and drain tube didn't have any leaks. It's all airtight.

Turn gas on, and if I shake the wheeler it starts leaking and doesn't stop.

See less See more
#3 ·
If moves easily up and down. The float is plastic so there is no adjustment.

#4 · (Edited)
My Buddy had the same issue. Not sure if your needle looks the same or not but his needle was fluted on the side...2 or 3 little ridges that ran top to bottom. The flutes were pitted (look closely) and rough from oxidation (made from aluminium I think). If you run your thumbnail along the flutes you'll feel it kinda snag on it. Anyway it would snag in the little channel it slides up and down in. A new needle resolved this although the rest of the seat and needle point looked perfect. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.