Honda Foreman Forums banner

NGK Iridium plug for 350 rancher

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jeepwm69 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a '05 350 Rancher, was thinking about changing the spark plug in it. I have read about people liking the Iridium plugs for a lot of applications (in fact I just picked one up for my 420) but haven't been able to find much for the 350's.

From what I've found DPR7EiX-9 would be the one for the 350 Rancher, only way I found it was a eBay page popped up in a Google search. Is this correct one? And do any of y'all use it in a 350 and like it? Thanks

#3 ·
A good friend used to have a general repair bike shop. He seen a bunch of quads come in that needed the CDI ignitions replaced. Pretty much all of them had Iridium plugs in them. He had seen enough to say that he would never put one in a quad. We don't know if they were the cause of the problem, but there was enough to cause concern. Just my $0.02

#4 ·
OK I'll definatly do some research into that. You'd think if anything the coil would be the weak link if certain spark plugs caused problems but maybe they could cause the coil to draw too much from the cdi?? Thanks for the tip.

#5 ·
I'm not sure, and we never proved the plugs were the cause. But like I said there was enough of them come through the doors with issues that had them.

#6 ·
Well I've used them for many many yrs in my ATV and many many MX bikes, problem free?
then again I did have a cdi go bad in my old foreman?, but, it was left idling for like 2 plus hours, so blamed that.
Had a IR plug in it for yrs before it went bad:
anything is possible. I however, don't think its a big difference to use or not, they won't make any real power oR performance gains. , so slight a difference, ?

#7 ·
The iridium plugs seem to help with the starting in the colder weather here. I run them in my machines because of that, they just seem to start better. I've replaced a ton of CDI units that the machines was using the standard plugs also.

#8 ·
From the reading I've done, I haven't seen anything about them causing problems. They mostly just claim longer lasting and easier starting in the cold ect. I got the one changed in my 420, I can't tell any difference in performance although it does seem smoother at idle and slightly more responsive but the old plug was in need of replacing anyway, so I'd say just the fact of the plug being new and clean is what helped.

I think I'll just tell my friend to go with the regular NGK or the one the toodeep recommended if the other isn't in stock local instead on paying almost 3x more for the IR lol.

Thanks for the replys :)

#9 ·
I do believe I'll try using an iridium in my 400ex this winter though, that will be a good test because its a bit cold natured, if it helps then I'll recommend it to him.

#10 ·
I've always used copper plugs unless it was something that is a bitch to change them on (like the back bank of plugs on my sisters 2000 Toyota Sienna she uses catering).

Figured they were longer lasting but didn't really work any better. I don't see them hurting anything, but copper has always worked fine in my bikes and not like they're hard to change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.