Honda Foreman Forums banner

Rancher starting problems

40K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  martdog420 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 Rancher... I have problems with it starting... The atv turns over but won't fire all the time... This is an intermittent problem. I was able to get it started today went for a 10 minute ride all was good.. I tried restarting and again it turns over but won't start... Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
There is an old saying that with these situations it is either spark or fuel. So start with the spark end of it. Pull the plug and see what kind of shape it is in. Is the gap correct? If it is good, hook up the plug wire, hold the plug against the cooling fins on the engine and hit the key. Do you have a spark across the gap? If yes, the move on to fuel. If no you need to begin tracking down why you do not have spark. If yes, check the fuel. Is it old and has it contaminated the carb? If the fuel is old and varnished you are probably going to have to dump the tank and pull the carb for cleaning. Are all the settings correct on the idle, jet etc?

This is only the Readers Digest edition of trouble shooting but there is a process and you have to go through eliminating each issue.

Or you can take it to the nearest ATV shop and let them do it which is my preferred method when it begins to get too complicated.

#3 ·
Good advice above.

Be careful checking spark. If you hold it wrong or have a cracked boot it will zap the crap out of you.

Does it do this cold? Does it do it hot? Or does it matter?

#5 ·
How old is your battery?

#8 ·
Hold up before you start throwing parts at it.

Will it not start currently, or will it start, but you're worried about it dying on the trail again?

If it will currently run, take it for a ride, with a spark plug socket and wrench with you, and a can of starter fluid. The next time it dies/ won't start, hop off, shoot a shot of starter fluid up in the intake. If it doesn't fire, take the plug out and ground it on the head and see if you have spark.

If it has enough juice to turn over it should have enough juice to run.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info... The problem was resolved by replacing the battery.. The battery must have been good enough to turnover but not enough to create spark....

I started and stopped it a few different times and popped each time.

#11 ·
I had exact problem with my battery last year.. it had enough juice to crank it over but didnt have enough power to send a spark.. I had two buddys with me when i put new battery in and they thought i was whacked till it fired instantly and has worked flawlessly since.. I gave the old battery to a friend with a smaller machine (400cc) and he had same results, just turn over without fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.