2010 420 Rancher not charging the battery - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 2010 420 Rancher not charging the battery

So this has been going on for a while. I have changed to a brand new battery, and it is still not charging. I got the service manual, check all 3 yellow wires coming from the alternator, they check out good according to what the manual says. Checked all wires at the 5p plug between the alternator and the rectifier, they checked out ok. Heres the part where I got to and stopped and have a question. All wires going to the rectifier checked out ok, except the red wire which comes from the battery. The red wire is showing voltage, but it is showing negative voltage. And yes, i double checked the contacts on my multimeter to make sure red was positive and black is negative, and when i checked the positive and negative on the battery, i get positive voltage. So when i connect my red from my multimeter to the red wire in the rectifier plug, and touch the black wire to ground from the multimeter, i get negative 12.5 volts. Im thinking this is a problem, but not sure, and if it is a problem, what are my next steps to solve it so that I get positive voltage?
whitelightnin3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Bet its the rectifier,had mine replaced a few years ago and my brothers gave up last year on his 2009 TRX420AT(battery was not keeping a charge).Seems to be a problem with the Hondas(but was cheap to replace and easy).
Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Ok scratch what i said up there about the negative voltage at the rectifier. I am Getting 23.3 AC voltage from the red wire at the rectifier. I am getting 10.92 DC voltage from the same wire. I wasnt sure why i was getting a reading for DC and AC, but im not that familiar with multimeters. when I rev the motor, the voltage goes down by about .01 volts. I didnt really think the voltage should go down. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Oh and the rectifier has already been replaced. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

so with a good battery and it running and you touch the red to positive and blasck to negitive what are you getting ?
and then what are you getting at like 2000 to 3000 rpm
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

So with the 4 wheeler not running, i am getting 12.09 volts, which i know is low. Then when i crank it and hook it up, it goes up just a little, to about 12.19 volts. Isnt it supposed to go up to over 14 volts when it is running? There is no change in voltage when i rev the motor to about half throttle. I dont have a tachometer to know how many rpms its running.

The repair manual doesnt say anything about checking voltage on the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. Shouldnt it have voltage if thats how the battery gets charged? All it says is to make sure the resistance is between .1 and 1.0 ohms.

So he ran the 4 wheeler yesterday with the lights on and the fan came on, probably for about 45 mins, and the battery is definitely not charging, because that drained it so much that it wouldnt crank after he shut it off. I dont want it to be the stator, but i think thats what it is. Just wanted to check with the folks on here to see if there were any other ideas of things to check other than what the manual says?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Addict

i haven't had to check an atv stator yet but to check a Harley stator i use a drop light with 100 watt bulb it should glow at an idle and get up to about half bright when you rev it up .
2" snorkel
145 jet
pos pipe
terra 3500 super winch syn rope
rear rack ammo cans and cooler
front rack 4 speaker sound system

1997 Kodiak 400
26" Mudlites

1988 Fourtrax 300 2x4
25" Triclaws
engine has never been worked on
timmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR

Maybe this will help you
-12" Machined STI HD3
-Custom 2" Snorkel
-EPI Competition Clutch Kit
-Detroit Gearless Locker
-UNI filter
-HMF Performance Series
-Audio tube
-Radiator relocation
-Dual paddles
-35% gear reduction
JWJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR

If wires test good at regulator then you regulator is burned out. Part number on that is 31600-HP5-601 and should be around $70 at your dealer.
-12" Machined STI HD3
-Custom 2" Snorkel
-EPI Competition Clutch Kit
-Detroit Gearless Locker
-UNI filter
-HMF Performance Series
-Audio tube
-Radiator relocation
-Dual paddles
-35% gear reduction
JWJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links