Honda Foreman Forums banner

2006 Honda Foreman S 500FM 4x4 popping when put into 1st gear

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tdc_usa 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm New here and I have a ? I just got this 2006 Honda Foreman S 500FM 4x4 Atv and I'm having a Problem. Sometimes when I put it in to 1st gear Straight from neutral it will pop and some times it won't or I can put it in gear and give it gas and then it will pop even when I go to Reverse, Neutral, and the into 1st that is the only gear that does it. When it pops that one time it will run just fine and I'm not sure if this is Normal or not but sometime it can be alil hard to get it out of Reverse back to Neutral it's like I have to give it alil gas to make it move some more then sometimes it will be ez Please Help!

#2 ·
welcome to the forum !!!
is it poping like a gear is missing some teeth in the transmition ? or like something to do with a dirty carb .....
or is it lerching foward when you put it in gear

#3 ·
Thanks it pops like a gear if im in (N) and go into 1st sometimes it will pop right then and when it does the bike will jump but somtimes it wont pop right when you put it in gear it will then pop when i give i gas and it move a foot or 2

#6 ·
Yep. Put some liquid copper on it when you put it back in so it won't seize on you again.

Hope you don't have a worn 1st gear. The 09-up FM's had a newly designed 1st gear since the old ones had a history of wearing down and no longer working (just first gear, rest will work fine)

#8 ·
Well in the next couple of days I am going to attempt a clutch adjustment I am going to have to take the front cover off because of the bolt being seized up. Does anyone have Any advice? And should I replace anything or the clutch pads while I am in there a little help on what all to look for would be appreciated

#9 ·
I stood mine up on it's rear. Front cover came off and out the right side of the frame. Honestly I don't think I could do any work up in there it's so tight, but you might be more agile. I just knocked adjustment screw out of fron cover, wire brushed both screw and cover, and put some liquid copper on the screw to keep it from seizing again. Careful taking front engine cover off, that gasket is pricey if you mess it up

#11 ·
Careful taking front engine cover off, that gasket is pricey if you mess it up
$26.38 from bike bandit, if thats pricey you just might be a tight wad lol.:lol:

#12 ·
I'm of Scottish descent! I can't help it!

#13 ·
Lmao.

#14 ·
Soo I got my cover off today everything seems to be fine that I no of and all my clutch pads are tight together with each other is that how they sup to be I'm just over looking everything again b4 I put it all back together ??

#15 ·
You get your adjuster screw freed up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.