Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum (http://www.hondaforeman.com/index.php)
-   Foreman 500 (http://www.hondaforeman.com/130-foreman-500/)
-   -   Tires Consideration (http://www.hondaforeman.com/130-foreman-500/80545-tires-consideration.html)

pls1911 02-19-2012 11:22 AM

Tires Consideration

Something to consider before dropping big bucks on aftermarket tires, especially if you're looking for routine reliability: New take-off tires.
I certainly like after market tires, particularly BigHorns.
Having said that, I was surprised that the Maxxis on the stock 2012 Foreman have proven somewhat unstoppable for me in climbing 45 degree sloped gravel roads in 18 inches of snow, related muddy roads at lower altitudes toward town, and typical mudpit in ranch roads. Similarly, they didn't hesitate when chained and pushing a 60" snowplow. The rocky northern New Mexico trails have not yet offered and tire related challenges. Honda did some good work contracting for these proprietary treads.
I couldn't pass up a chance to score a spare set of zero miles Foreman wheels and tires from a fellow who replaced his before he picked it up new at the dealership. A good buy at $200.
I guess I'll be putting the BigHorns off for awhile.

rich450es 02-19-2012 11:50 AM

the stockers do a goog job on a stock mechine doing work on the farm but .......there only 2ply tires and get sliced up very quick on the granit and shail rock around me . and thay arnt good at all in mud over 5in thick (drop into a 15in deep mud hole better have a winch ) just my 2 cents

maine_rider15 02-19-2012 12:19 PM

just go with a 6 to 8 ply tire and dont go with mudlites everyone has diff opinons on tires you dont know till you try

temagamiarearider 02-19-2012 12:25 PM

Ive never had good luck with stock tires on my bikes.... moreso my canam than my honda. I am NOT a fan of ANY stock tires. the intended use should dictate the tire you require and not price in my opinion. if its light duty riding, the stockers will do the job cheapest and best. if you ride off road, they will not be reliable in the end. a 6ply tire minimum is required for durability off roading.

tskfreak 02-19-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pls1911 (Post 627410)
Something to consider before dropping big bucks on aftermarket tires, especially if you're looking for routine reliability: New take-off tires.
I certainly like after market tires, particularly BigHorns.
Having said that, I was surprised that the Maxxis on the stock 2012 Foreman have proven somewhat unstoppable for me in climbing 45 degree sloped gravel roads in 18 inches of snow, related muddy roads at lower altitudes toward town, and typical mudpit in ranch roads. Similarly, they didn't hesitate when chained and pushing a 60" snowplow. The rocky northern New Mexico trails have not yet offered and tire related challenges. Honda did some good work contracting for these proprietary treads.
I couldn't pass up a chance to score a spare set of zero miles Foreman wheels and tires from a fellow who replaced his before he picked it up new at the dealership. A good buy at $200.
I guess I'll be putting the BigHorns off for awhile.

i agree with you i really enjoyed how my stock tires while i had them on my foreman, it did everything i asked of them, but i knew it was only a matter of time before i got a flat in them and that's the main reason for the switch over... also i broke through some ice right after i changed the tires and my zilla's dug me out of it, with the stockers it would of been tow time for sure

maine_rider15 02-19-2012 02:16 PM

yeah i didnt lke the handling of the 2 ply tire with the 6 ply i got now its way better handling around corners faster

tskfreak 02-19-2012 02:35 PM

oh yeah i agree main my zilla's ride great, but i was just saying i was impressed with what the stockers did as little as i rode on them that is.....lol

chrisb 02-19-2012 06:23 PM

I had stocks for 2 yrs and hated them but just wanted to pay for my quad first, I finally had a chance to ride mine today with my new sti black diamond xtr and mud where I use to have to keep it floored and rock it in 4wd. Today I was 1/4 throttle 2wd and walked right out with no problems. I was also really impressed how much more stable the quad is with stronger side walls. A world of difference

Kipes 02-19-2012 08:53 PM

I agree, stock tires are the cheapest contract tire out there. Waayyy better choices out there.

lop3r1 02-19-2012 09:21 PM

here's something to consider when dropping big bucks on aftermarket tires...you gotta drop the big bucks!!! stockers are only temporary. they are only there to get you to your house. they suck after the 1st ride.