Honda Foreman Forums banner

Electric Start Problem

41K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Lil'Dave 
#1 ·
The Starter Relay Switch goes "bzzzt" when I press the handlebar starter. Replaced it with a new one and it's still the same. Replaced brushes in the starter motor also. Any ideas on why the electric start doesn't work anymore?
TIA

#4 ·
welcome to the forum is there 12volts at the starter with the starter button pushed
I don't know. How do I check if there's 12 volts going through? I do have a voltmeter.
also check the ground and all the conections at and around the battery
Will do.
welcome dude ..... hmmmmmm!!! I think I would try option 3 ;try the pull start... It dose have one don't it ??!!!!
It does and I'm fine with option 3, it's my wife that hates it.

Thank you both for the welcome.

#3 ·
welcome dude ..... hmmmmmm!!! I think I would try option 3 ;try the pull start... It dose have one don't it ??!!!!

#8 ·
no no no lol the cover i ment is the protective plastis cover over the starter when on the foreman on rt side of (the cover HIDES the starter). sorry i wasnt clearer.
check the voltage on the outgoing side of the starter selonoyd(the side that goes down to the starter)when starter button is pushed.
if you have power to the starter and no start then starter has a problem
if you have no power after the selonyd ,the problem MIGHT be the selonyd

#10 ·
LOL I feel a little stupid.
No voltage on the outgoing side but the power input line test returned a full voltage. The ground line test failed, I think. My hearing is pretty bad but my son's is really good and he said he never heard the beep from the volt meter. The starter motor test failed also when I connected the battery directly to the motor. I didn't try any other tests. Should I have?
Thinking about ordering a starter motor with a new solenoid. First I'll see if I can get my hands on a used motor before ordering. Thanks again.

Thanks sspeckerwood for the troubleshooting instructions.

#9 ·
  1. fuse inspection- check for blown main fuse(30amp) or ign fuse(10a)
  2. battery inspection-good charge
  3. starter relay switch operation inspection-remove the rear fender lid. disconnect the starter relay switch 2p connector. ground line, check for continuity between the gray/white wire terminal of the wire harness side connector and ground. if there is continuity when the transmission is in neutral or when the front brake lever is squeezed, the ground circuit is normal. power input line, make sure the engine stop switch is turned to "on", and turn ignition switch "on". measure the voltage between the yellow/red wire terminal(+) of the wire harness side connector and ground(-). if the battery voltage appears only when the starter switch is pushed, the circuit is normal. function inspection, disconnect the negative(-) cable from the battery. disconnect the starter relay switch 2p connector. remove the battery (+) cable and starter motor cable from the starter relay switch. connect the fully charged 12v battery positive terminal to the yellow/red wire terminal and negative terminal to the light green/red wire terminal of the starter relay switch. there should be continuity between the cable terminals while the battery is connected and no continuity when the battery is disconnected.
  4. starter motor inspection- turn the ignition switch to "off". apply battery voltage to the starter motor directly. does starter motor turn?? yes-poorly connected starter motor cable, faulty starter relay switch. no- faulty starter motor.
  5. relay coil ground line inspection- turn the ignition switch to "off" check the ground line of the starter relay switch. (refer to step 3) is the ground line normal?? yes- goto step 6. no- faulty gear position switch,faulty diode, faulty front brake switch, loose or poor contact of the related connector terminal, open circuit in the wire harness.
  6. relay coil power input line inspection- check the power input line of starter relay switch(refer to step 3) is the power input line normal? yes- goto step 7. no- faulty ignition switch, faulty engine stop switch, faulty starter switch, loose or poor contact of the related connector terminal, open circuit in the wire harness.
  7. starter relay switch inspection- check the function of the starter relay switch(refer to step 3). does the starter relay switch function properly?? yes- loose or poor contact of the starter relay switch connector terminal. no- faulty starter relay switch.
starter motor turns engine slowly

• low battery voltage
  • poorly connected battery cable
  • poorly connected starter motor cable
  • faulty starter motor
  • poorly connected ground cable terminal
starter motor turns, but engine does not turn

• faulty starter clutch
  • damaged starter gear train
starter relay switch clicks, but engine does not turn over

• crankshaft does not turn due to engine problems

#12 ·
ur welcome lil'dave. that's straight outta the honda manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.