Steering adjustment - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Default Steering adjustment

So I have the wreck back together...sort of. The thing is obviously tweaked a bit. Sis and her buddy hit a tree at about 35 mph with the right front. New right front rim, new tie rod, new brush guard, quite a bit of bending on the front rack, and new front plastics and it seems to be coming back together. It won't ever be completely right, but with 800 miles, no insurance, and for my purposes (riding in mud at about 15 miles per hour) it will work (more to come on that in a min).

Looks like left front wheel (non impact) is toed in (top leans towards center of bike) while the right seems to be toed out a hair or even. Looks like there is no way to adjust this. From what I've found the camber is not adjustable, so not sure what I'm looking for. Whole frame could be twisted, might be an A arm. Any way to tell short of tearing bike down/ throwing parts at it? If it were as simple and new A arms I'd fix, but I can live with it if the fix is going to involve tearing down to bare frame.

I do need to adjust a little more on the tie rods. Am I correct that the front wheels should be pointed OUT a little bit? As in, measuring front of front tire, center to center should be just a hair wider than rear of front tire, center to center?

This will come in handy too as I went ahead and got another Foreman (so the wrecked one will be the "extra" bike). Same exact machine as my other one. Green 09 FM 4x4. Had 300 miles on it, 26in Mudwisers and a winch. Got a deal on it so went ahead and got it. I'm a carb/air cooled guy and the new design doesn't appeal to me from what I've seen, so I snatched this one up when I found it. That said, the Mudwisers steer like crap on the trail, so I'm thinking I need to adjust steering a bit.
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Ya front should be towed out a bit. Have you tried riding it down the road at high speeds yet? I know mine is beat up quite a bit from fliping it over on a hill and another time hitting a tree but it still drives straight. Im just a little afraid of taking the racks and plastics off cause im not sure they'll line back up. doh.
martdog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by martdog420 View Post
Ya front should be towed out a bit. Have you tried riding it down the road at high speeds yet? I know mine is beat up quite a bit from fliping it over on a hill and another time hitting a tree but it still drives straight. Im just a little afraid of taking the racks and plastics off cause im not sure they'll line back up. doh.
So the front wheels should be wider at the bottom of the tire than the top (looking at bike from front)? / \ or \ / ?

Hmmmmm. I swapped the right hub assembly to the left and vice-versa to see if that straightened out the wheel wobble on right side (turned out to be bent rim). Wonder if that hub assembly is tweaked a bit.

Right now it looks like the right front (impact) wheel is toed out, and the other side (non impact) looks toed in.

I got it up to about 35 on gravel yesterday. Was a little squirrely, but my handlebars are pointed slightly to the right (just a hair) when going straight, and if I let go of wheel it pulls to left, so it's gonna need some work.
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement