Help with Carb Removal - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Help with Carb Removal

I need some help trying to remove the carb. I can not figure out how to take off the throttle and choke cables.

Does anyone have a write up on taking apart the carb. I need to clean this thing out.

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

For the throttle cable there is a black plastic cover on the side of the carb with one screw holding it on. Remove that, unhook the cable from the throttle linkage and unscrew the cable from the carb.

The choke you just unscrew the plastic nut from the carb and it all pulls out. The carb heater will unplug at the wiring harness. Just follow the wires back to the connector.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks again Toodeep,

I had it runnung for about an hour this morning. It runs good with the choke on but spits, sputters and will not idle with choke off. It needs a good cleaning

Last edited by jamnjeep; 12-18-2010 at 01:12 PM.
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Alright well I was able to get the carb off. I took the bowl off and took out the little and the big jet. cleaned them sprayed them out with cleaner and air. Then sprayed the entire carb with cleaner. It really looked pretty good, not gummy. Then put everything back together. It fired right up and idles good with or with out the choke on. BUT if I touch the throttle it dies. It will only idle. I took the carb back off and bowl off checked everthong I touch made sure it was back together right. Hooked back up and same thing. What did io do? It would at least rev up before i touched it, now just idles.

HELP Please.

Last edited by jamnjeep; 12-18-2010 at 06:12 PM.
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

try draining the carb while its on the bike. It will allow some clean gas to get in there and will drain anything out that may be in there as well. Do you have fresh gas in the tank....new spark plug? Keep us updated?
1-1/2" wheel spacers
2" Perfex Long Arm Travel Lift
HMF Utility Exhaust
Dyno Jet Kit
K&n Filter and Outerware
Home Depot Snorkle
Dawg Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks for the advise. Yea i drained all the old gas out of tank and put fresh gas in. Also i have drained the carb several times. It has a good constant flow coming from drain line. The plug is not a new one but looks really good, I sprayed it off with carb cleaner anyway and also check that it was sparking.

I guess something must still be clogged up in the carb?? Thanks for help
Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

So I took the carb off one more time and cleaned it again. Everthing looks really clean. But same problem, it idles great w/ or w/out choke. But if I touch the throttle (even just a little pressure on it) the engine dies right away. If I try and start it while pushing the throttle it just smokes and will not fire up. Its like its getting to much fuel and no air?? opposite from orginal problem, but I am not for sure?
I think I caused the problem! Because it would at least rev up before I took the carb off. But what could I have done wrong during reassembly? All I disassembled was the bowl, float, float valve, big jet and little jet. Is there anything that could have fallen out that I did not notice after removing the items listed? Is there anything that goes in between the needle and main jet?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

There is a seat for the throttle needle, it's held in by the main jet. You should be able to look into the carb and see it sticking up slightly.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

odeep:

So I need to remove the main jet and look in there right? The seat should be around the needle? Is it rubber or cooper?

If it was missing do you think it would cause the problems I am having.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
There is a seat for the throttle needle, it's held in by the main jet. You should be able to look into the carb and see it sticking up slightly.

Took off the main jet and took a look in and all I saw was the needle. There was nothing else in there that could come out.

This must be the issue. I was pretty sure I screwed something up. Going by the local Honda shop tomorrow. I hope this is the issue it seems like the problem.

Thanks alot for all the help, Toodeep! I will post back my results.
Advertisement