check/adjust valve clearance hot or cold - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default check/adjust valve clearance hot or cold

Should the valve clearance on a 06 trx 500 4x4 be checked/adjusted on a warm engine or cold engine.
trx350first is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Cold engine.
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I figured i might be doing it wrong, i have been doing it cold,it must be something else making the noise. It becomes louder when it's worm. It sounds like a timing chain noise but i know it doesn't have a timing chain,like a high rpm rattle, mostly when you come off the throttle after high rpm's.I have checked the valve clearence several times and it always seems right. Any ideas what to look at next, my bike has about 4 thousand miles, and the oil has always been changed right on time. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

They do have a short timing chain on the front/lower side of the motor but they last for many miles. What clearance are you adjusting the tappets to? If your going .006 you might try .005 to see if it helps at all. It could be just the Honda rattle also, with the push rod/lifter style of engine they don't run quite as quiet as the over head cam ones did.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I am setting it to 006, last time when i had it apart i started it up and let it run for about 3 to 5 minutes and adjusted them again to 006 the difference was very slight,i just checked compression today and it read between 45 -50,is there a simple way to see if the timing chain has stretched?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Toodeep, I just want to ask your opinion and maybe help this guy get his stuff quiet at the same time.
Ive had my hands in many Honda ATVs over the years from the early ATC 90s to the well ?my now new to me 2004 Rubicon.
I have been thru some crazy crap with the ATC 350x heads and there non existant cam bearings and such.
But my question is?, Is the Honda,clymer, Haynes manual got it straight?
I mean for years Ive always followed all the procedures and my bikes always ticked when done and ive always chalked it to it being a Honda and dont worry about it.
Years ago I was totally into 4-trax 250Rs and my brother wanted to get into the hobby and bought a blown up 250x thinking it would keep up with me .LOL
Anyway he had unlimited funds and went bigbore with head and jug getting sent off ,bigger carb and of a powroll pipe and silencer.(If you wanna call it that?)
I assembled everything and for the life of me could not get it stop ticking when running and I had set the valves according to the manual. Then my chevy head buddy(Im a Fordguy) came over and adjusted the valves by hand and woolah !
Now every since then everytime I do valves I just tighten them by hand and havent had a prob ever.(make sure you tighten the locknut)lol
When I say hand tighten I mean just make sure everything is loose and tighten down until you feel resistance, once you feel resistance hold it there and tighten locknut.
I know its hillbilly but its worked for me.
TooDeep, Can you give me the pros and cons of this procedure? Cause everytime Ive tried to use feeler gauges its always ticked?
Aluminum Products Bash plate
Viper 3500 winch & Cycle country 52in plow
ES floorboard conversion

HONDA!!! No Wing! No Prayer!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

I know every Honda I ever owned ticked, some worse than others. Maybe the gap in the lifters is to allow oil to get in between for a cushion. Who knows how them Japs think lol. I think its not just the lifters making noise but a combination of play in all the components in the crankcase. Just a guess
2" Perfex long travel lift kit
High Lifter springs
26-11-12 Sedona Ripsaws on rear
26-9-12 Sedona Ripsaws on front
Douglas Rattlesnake rims
3rd Headlight switch
Moose Heated Handgrips and thumb warmer
Replaced the stock silver engine covers and front skid plate with 07 camo black and painted front brush guard black

2005 Rancher 350ES 2wd
Kipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via MSN to wydglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Toodeep, I just want to ask your opinion and maybe help this guy get his stuff quiet at the same time.
Ive had my hands in many Honda ATVs over the years from the early ATC 90s to the well ?my now new to me 2004 Rubicon.
I have been thru some crazy crap with the ATC 350x heads and there non existant cam bearings and such.
But my question is?, Is the Honda,clymer, Haynes manual got it straight?
I mean for years Ive always followed all the procedures and my bikes always ticked when done and ive always chalked it to it being a Honda and dont worry about it.
Years ago I was totally into 4-trax 250Rs and my brother wanted to get into the hobby and bought a blown up 250x thinking it would keep up with me .LOL
Anyway he had unlimited funds and went bigbore with head and jug getting sent off ,bigger carb and of a powroll pipe and silencer.(If you wanna call it that?)
I assembled everything and for the life of me could not get it stop ticking when running and I had set the valves according to the manual. Then my chevy head buddy(Im a Fordguy) came over and adjusted the valves by hand and woolah !
Now every since then everytime I do valves I just tighten them by hand and havent had a prob ever.(make sure you tighten the locknut)lol
When I say hand tighten I mean just make sure everything is loose and tighten down until you feel resistance, once you feel resistance hold it there and tighten locknut.
I know its hillbilly but its worked for me.
TooDeep, Can you give me the pros and cons of this procedure? Cause everytime Ive tried to use feeler gauges its always ticked?
You say Hillbilly like its a bad thing.......LMAO

I think Hank said it best........" A Country boy can survive"

P.M. Campbell Co Lodge F&AM #778
99Yamaha Wolverine
06 Foreman TRX500
09 Foreman TRX500 "Trail Dancer"
25" Big Horn's
Mad Dog Rear Bag
Body Armor
Bash Plate
Gamin 76CSx GPS, W/RAM Mount
Warn XT25 conversion to XT30
Glide Build Audio System
Serious case of BGD

I'm not Frugal, I'm a COB...(Cheap old B@stard)

wydglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

IMO, a tight valve tappet can hurt performance just like a loose one and might put extra wear on the cam/lifters from the tight clearance. The performance cams can give some good ticking even when they are adjusted to the specs and I have set them at .001-.002 tighter than recommended with no problems but never have tried any with no clearance to see the outcome over the years.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

After checking my compression which turned out to be between 45 and50 psi i checked the clerance yet again,it was 005, one thing i noticed when i started it with the adjustment plugs off, there was a whole lot of oil pouring over the front assembly, but not as much on the rear. I wonder if that's got something to do with the ticking/timing chain type sound i am hearing. Now i don't know where to turn next, with my compression down 20% i am thinking about taking it all apart, i am thinking about going with a slightly bigger piston,i would like to get a little more/torque -horse power than stock without jepordizing dependability.Has anyone here tried going with a slightly bigger piston, and jug?Also is the repair manual from honda worth buying, over the years i have bought more crappy manuals put together by people who have perfect knuckles and smooth skin.

Last edited by trx350first; 07-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement