Winch Contactor Location? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Default Winch Contactor Location?

'08 Foreman ES 4X4. Just got my new winch and will start install. Where do most of you put your contactor? Has anyone put it in that front compartment on the left side? Don't know if that would be big enough for contactor and remote. The rear compartment is probably the most obvious, where do you come into that one with your wiring and where in the compartment would you locate the contactor? Where would you locate it if you put it under the seat, looks tight? Thanks in advance.
stmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

On my 420 I mounted it to the back wall of the rear storage compartment. It is right next to the battery compartment, so getting the wires to it is very convienient. On mine there is just a plastic panel separating the storage box form the battery box that I mounted it to. Attach all your wiring from to front to the large bundle of wiring that comes up your frame an into the battery compartment. It's very easy to get the contactor wires into the storage box from there even if you have to drill a little hole and then silicone it back up. I really doubt that you will be able to fit it in the storage compartment on the side of the tank. I'll try to get you a pic.
-dog water and bowl
-chainsaw

2003 TRX 400 EX
-Full aluminum skidplates, nerfs, bumpers
-Pro Taper bars & clamps, G2 handguards
-Supersprox sprockets, gold RK
-Razrs
red08420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Addict

correction, I actually put mine in the battery compartment to avoid taking up all my trunk space. It is kinda hidden, but it is located under the white connector and I am pointing to the terminal boots in one pic. In the other pic you can see the bolts coming through into the trunk. There were some other connectors mounted to the back wall like the white one, but I just unclipped them an scooted them down. I don't know your model specifically, but just get creative.
Attached Thumbnails
Winch Contactor Location?-100_3199.jpg   Winch Contactor Location?-100_3200.jpg   Winch Contactor Location?-100_3201.jpg   Winch Contactor Location?-100_3202.jpg  
-dog water and bowl
-chainsaw

2003 TRX 400 EX
-Razrs
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I bought two u-bolts and attached it to the crossbar behind the battery.
stick stoppers
mistyandgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red08420 View Post
correction, I actually put mine in the battery compartment to avoid taking up all my trunk space. It is kinda hidden, but it is located under the white connector and I am pointing to the terminal boots in one pic. In the other pic you can see the bolts coming through into the trunk. There were some other connectors mounted to the back wall like the white one, but I just unclipped them an scooted them down. I don't know your model specifically, but just get creative.
Thanks for the input, my foreman does not have that much room by the battery but the rear storage compartment is large enough to house the winch control's and I could even partition it so that stored items would not bang against the contactor. I am thinking of locating the remote plug on the rear fender (black part), right side away from exhaust. Anyone ever done this, if not where have you located the plug? Another option would be to just leave it lose and not mount it, since I am probably going to use the storage compartment as a utility box.
Any more input would be appreciated, may not get to it today because the temps are low and I don't want to take a chance on breaking any plastics. At least this gives me a chance to hear all opinions and look at some more pics, if you know where any are let me know. Thanks again.
OT- Anyone have a later model F150, '05+? Do you know where the OEM brake control plug is located? I know it is in the dash somewhere but I don't want to start tearing things out without an idea of the location. I asked on the F150 site but did not get a clear answer.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Addict

I mounted my remote plug on the front of the handlebar/dash console. I think your model has a headlight there. You could mount it on the side of the console, kinda like the 12v power outlet I think your model has but on the other side. I would think mounting it towards the front would be better so that you can keep an eye on how the cable is going in, and what rocks/deep mud you are winching the front of your quad across/through. Also, I would mount it on cheaper/smaller/easier to replace stuff like trim pieces, instead of drilling a 1" hole in your expensive plastic.
-dog water and bowl
-chainsaw

2003 TRX 400 EX
-Razrs
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I mounted my contactors in the dry box on the left. Works great keeps it nice and dry.
hummer500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I mounted mine outside the rear storage box. My Warn came with these instructions, very detailed with pictures. Hope it helps.
driftwood20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via MSN to wydglide

I put mine in the trunk..I had not finished applying silicone to the wires when this pic was taken, Zippy-tied the remote to the front rack its out of the way and in a very handy location..Works great!

P.M. Campbell Co Lodge F&AM #778
99Yamaha Wolverine
06 Foreman TRX500
09 Foreman TRX500 "Trail Dancer"
25" Big Horn's
Mad Dog Rear Bag
Body Armor
Bash Plate
Gamin 76CSx GPS, W/RAM Mount
Warn XT25 conversion to XT30
Glide Build Audio System
Serious case of BGD

I'm not Frugal, I'm a COB...(Cheap old B@stard)

wydglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Wydglide, I ended up following your lead and put the contactor in the rear storage. Seemed like the logical place, plenty of room and easy to get to. I put the remote receptacle in the front "glove box" and there is enough room for the remote controller also, handy if you get into a situation where you would need it. I followed the main wiring bundle along the right side, put flex tubing around the cables and zipped so that the cables would not touch the engine (I hope, lol). I went with the synthetic winch cable and the Hause fairlead. My fairlead is angled down about 45 degrees, it has to be right because there is no other way it would go on. Is that common with Viper winch mounts? Do any of you use the rubber bump stop with synthetic cable? If so how do you get the metal loop through the rubber??

Last edited by stmar; 04-13-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement