Honda Foreman Forums banner

noise in front end

20K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  SSpeckerwood 
#1 ·
It seemed like i had this same exact noise coming from the front end on my ol rincon.When i pick up on the front left(driver side) part of the bumper i get this ticking noise,kinda does it when i go up and when i come down with it...WTF.I checked all the skid plate bolts and any otehr bolt ive messed with since i got it new.Is this by any chance a common thing from hondas?I can deff hear this while im riding but i cant track it down while im on it.It seems like i can feel it in the frame more then the wheel and tire.It dont really do it when i pick up on the right side of the wheeler.let me kno

thanks for any advise

#2 ·
DP - I've noticed the same or similar thing on my '08....but I would describe it as more of a "clicking" sound, but only when it's in motion. I will have to see if I can re-create the noise when parked. I've not been able to nail it down - I thought it sounded like it was being caused by the rack someway :dizzy

#3 ·
QUOTE (BigDogDaddy @ Jun 4 2009, 02:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128346
DP - I've noticed the same or similar thing on my '08....but I would describe it as more of a "clicking" sound, but only when it's in motion. I will have to see if I can re-create the noise when parked. I've not been able to nail it down - I thought it sounded like it was being caused by the rack someway :dizzy
Yea it clicks like 3-4 times pulling up and when i push it down.It really sounds horrible when im riding.

#4 ·
QUOTE (dentpusher @ Jun 4 2009, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128347
Yea it clicks like 3-4 times pulling up and when i push it down.It really sounds horrible when im riding.

u guys might think im crazy... but could it b in the transmission??? as i have this same click.. was thinking it was a CV axle first.. then it started doing it when it was parked.. i was on my wheeler parked rocking it back and forth... and it makes a CLICK then it clicks again... im pretty sure its in the tranny.. :( and mine has only 550 miles... get on ur 4 wheeler or have some one else do it... rock it back and forth and put ur head down on the shift side.. tell me if u think it might be that.. and get back to me.. i have no clue what going on in there.. but almost sure thats where its comming from..

#5 ·
QUOTE (bub @ Jun 4 2009, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128351
u guys might think im crazy... but could it b in the transmission??? as i have this same click.. was thinking it was a CV axle first.. then it started doing it when it was parked.. i was on my wheeler parked rocking it back and forth... and it makes a CLICK then it clicks again... im pretty sure its in the tranny.. :( and mine has only 550 miles... get on ur 4 wheeler or have some one else do it... rock it back and forth and put ur head down on the shift side.. tell me if u think it might be that.. and get back to me.. i have no clue what going on in there.. but almost sure thats where its comming from..
Your effn crazy

j/k but yea it is deff coming from the left side of my machine and i notice mine more when i shake sidetoside rather then fronttoback.Sounds like we all have the same kinda noise,somebody must kno what it is.

#6 ·
QUOTE (dentpusher @ Jun 4 2009, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128355
Your effn crazy

j/k but yea it is deff coming from the left side of my machine and i notice mine more when i shake sidetoside rather then fronttoback.Sounds like we all have the same kinda noise,somebody must kno what it is.

yup.. same thing.. its in the tranny... :( u have ES>>>???

#7 ·
QUOTE (bub @ Jun 4 2009, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128356
yup.. same thing.. its in the tranny... :( u have ES>>>???
Nope,i just replied in your thread on the same problem.I got an FM.And im pretty sure i had the same clik/tick on my 01or 02 rincon..drove me nuts.

#8 ·
is it a click tick or more like a clunk?, if it's more like a clunk jack it up and at the top of the tire move it in and out and watch the upper control arm where it connects to the frame, my bushing are worn out but only one side.

another possibility is weeds or some junk wrapped around the front drive shaft where it comes out of the motor. i had this too.

or maybe even in the shock/spring you could have a blown shock and it's sticking while it moves. get a friend to lift the quad while you watch the shock closely it should move smoothly if it twitches or jumps while moving i'd say that's where the noise is coming from so take the shocks off and confirm. or could be just dirt in the spring causing it to stick and jump.

could also be a bushing somewhere that's sticking, try sparing every bushing in the front end with wd-40 or something similar go for a short ride then repeat.

So there's my thoughts of what came to mind off the top of my head. It could be one of these or none

#9 ·
QUOTE (98greensi @ Jun 4 2009, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128365
is it a click tick or more like a clunk?, if it's more like a clunk jack it up and at the top of the tire move it in and out and watch the upper control arm where it connects to the frame, my bushing are worn out but only one side.[/color]Its more like a ticking/clicking ...bout 3-4 clicks when pulled up and then it does it again when i let it down.It does it more so when i pull up on the right side of the wheeler by the front bumper.I jacked it up and everthing is tight and looks good.Bearings are fine i only have 160 miles on it.
another possibility is weeds or some junk wrapped around the front drive shaft where it comes out of the motor. i had this too.Nope

or maybe even in the shock/spring you could have a blown shock and it's sticking while it moves. get a friend to lift the quad while you watch the shock closely it should move smoothly if it twitches or jumps while moving i'd say that's where the noise is coming from so take the shocks off and confirm. or could be just dirt in the spring causing it to stick and jump.I just put these cte shocks on a month or so ago.I really dont think this noise is coming from the shock. i checked all bolts and nuts.could also be a bushing somewhere that's sticking, try sparing every bushing in the front end with wd-40 or something similar go for a short ride then repeat. Dont think the 40's gunna work on this one

So there's my thoughts of what came to mind off the top of my head. It could be one of these or none

I appreciate your thoughts.

#10 ·
QUOTE (dentpusher @ Jun 4 2009, 11:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128366
I appreciate your thoughts.

well mine is defiantly in side the heart some wheres... just not sure what would cause it.. it sounds like a pendulum on a clock... it goes back and forth... something to do with a shift fork im almost guessing....

#11 ·
Are ya'll sure there is not a small rock rolling around in the frame, I have found rocks and even large fish lodged into the weirdest places on my foreman. I only bring this up cause the frame rails in the back are not plugged and it is possible to get a rock in there considering most of ya'll spend a lot of time with the rearend submerged in mud and water. Just my .02

#12 ·
QUOTE (ShinerBocks @ Jun 4 2009, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128381
Are ya'll sure there is not a small rock rolling around in the frame, I have found rocks and even large fish lodged into the weirdest places on my foreman. I only bring this up cause the frame rails in the back are not plugged and it is possible to get a rock in there considering most of ya'll spend a lot of time with the rearend submerged in mud and water. Just my .02
I dont think its a rock.It sounds the exact same every time i go up with it and then does it when i let it down.

#13 ·
QUOTE (dentpusher @ Jun 5 2009, 02:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128382
I dont think its a rock.It sounds the exact same every time i go up with it and then does it when i let it down.

definitely not a rock.... this is my 6th 4wheeler... so im not new to these.... or maniacal things... i use to work in a auto garage... but ive never had a 4 wheeler motor apart... cause ive always bought Honda's......

#14 ·
Ok on mine when im on it shaking side to side and then grab and hold the right brake handle it makes it harder to get it too make the noise.

#15 ·
Hmm ya know ive got a similiar noise and mine is an 08 ES. I got a buddy withan 07 that has the same noise your describing DP. To me it seems like a bearing of sorts on the front of the engine on the left hand side isnt getting lubed enough. If you throttle the bike up the noise goes away thats why im thinking that oil isnt gettng to it or some sh!t like that. Ive checked my oil and the levels have been fine and nothing has changed with the performance so will se i guess i hate to tear down an engine with 350 miles on it but it might come down to it

#16 ·
QUOTE (REAPER500 @ Jun 5 2009, 11:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128404
Hmm ya know ive got a similiar noise and mine is an 08 ES. I got a buddy withan 07 that has the same noise your describing DP. To me it seems like a bearing of sorts on the front of the engine on the left hand side isnt getting lubed enough. If you throttle the bike up the noise goes away thats why im thinking that oil isnt gettng to it or some sh!t like that. Ive checked my oil and the levels have been fine and nothing has changed with the performance so will se i guess i hate to tear down an engine with 350 miles on it but it might come down to it
Well I just dropped my main skid and this seems like it was the problem.IM going too mess with it some more ina bit

#17 ·
Check your skid plates.I checked to make sure all mine were tight yesterday and they were.So today i thought id take them off just to see if i could here this noise.well after i got them off the noise was gone.I checked it after every bolt and really dont see why it was doing it but o well its gone.I notice all 3 of the guys here that had the problem have skids,so id start with that and see what happens.

#18 ·
QUOTE (dentpusher @ Jun 5 2009, 06:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=128408
Check your skid plates.I checked to make sure all mine were tight yesterday and they were.So today i thought id take them off just to see if i could here this noise.well after i got them off the noise was gone.I checked it after every bolt and really dont see why it was doing it but o well its gone.I notice all 3 of the guys here that had the problem have skids,so id start with that and see what happens.

i wish my problem was the skid plate....

#19 ·
make sure to look at your ball joints they will make that noise to when they start to wear they wont neccesarilly have slack in them but will make an awfull squeaking, creaking, popping noise. both of mine do it the 450 and the 500 if thats what it is you can change it out or get a needle fitting for a grease gun and pierce the boot and put some grease in it and itll quit for a while then youll have to do it again in a few months. or you can drill and tap a hole in the top of the ball joint and install a grease fitting which would be best. ( dont know why they dont come like this?)

#20 ·
ok new to the forum deal but i have an 08 foreman mine does not make the noise but my friend has an 07 and it does i am pretty mechanically inclined so i will tell if it is coming from the front of the atv it is most likely the front differential if its coming from the middle of the atve them it is most likely the valves i have alot of experience with the hondas and it is not likely for it to have a major proble hope this helps

#23 ·
its ur valves and pushrods ticking. its nothing to worry about. its normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.