replace rear swing arm bearings - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Default replace rear swing arm bearings

jack up the bike under the engine on the frame to where the rear wheels come up.
remove the rear wheels, remove the rear brake cables from the brake housing by undoing the wing nuts.
remove the vent hoses from the diff and brake housing
on the right side where the brake cables mount to the frame there is a cover with a 8mm bolt holding it remove that and the covers.
remove the lower shock mounting bolts and place something under the diff to hold up the rear axle dont let it hang by itself it may damage your u joint.
undo the clamp on the left side that holds the boot to the swing arm for the drive shaft and slide the boot up.
remove the covers for the swing arm bolts with a flat head screw driver just pry them off
on the left side its just a big allen head bolt and on the right side there is a castle nut looking lock ring on the allen head bolt you can take a hammer and flat head srew driver or punch and back it off or take a big socket and cut slots in the outside of it so it will fit the castle lock nut and use a ratchet or impact to get it off its really easy to get it to tightend back up if you make this.
remove the big allen head bolts on both sides and your swing arm will come off.

these are the bearings you have to get out.

a rubber seal on the outside the inner race with ball bearings the outer race, and then there is an metal oil seal in the back.
the rubber seal you can pry out with a screw driver and you can probally get the inner race and ball bearings out by prying it.
the out race will be hard to remove i knocked a hole in the metal oil seals behind the race and pulled the seal out so i could see where the lip of the race was. the moose bearing kit for the swing arm comes with every thing to change out both sides.
i no longer own any hondas
but they wont be forgotten especially the black 1
10 750 blue nocturnal brute
jrfonte1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

for me to get the outer race out of there it was easiest to use a little prybar that had a small head on it that i could get behind the race with and catch the lip of it and hit the end of the pry bar with a hammer going around in circles around the race and it eventually came out. before i started trying to get it out i heated the outer housing with a torch and at the same time cooled the race with compressed air. you can see where the paint is burnt off of my swing arm ends.
the side that has the drive shaft going through the tube on has a hole where you can get behind the race and knock it out but the other side has no hole behind it.

once you get the old bearings and races out the hard part is over
is you marred up the inside of your housings take a dremmel and clean it up smooth
put in your new metal oil seals and take a socket about the size as the outer race make sure its sits on the outer race and not on the bearings and knock your bearings back in with a socket and hammer just make sure the socket isnt to big and wont get stuck inside the housing and make sure it is going in straight. and if your bearings seperate from the outer race the thick side of the race goes in first and the thin part to the outside.
after you get your bearings in dab some grease around it and put in your dust seals.
while you have your swing arm off go ahead and inspect your uv joint for cracks and wear

and the shaft inside the housing comes out and you can look at your splines to see if there wore.

but after that just reasemble like it came apart.
when putting in your big allen head bolts the one on the left side make sure it bottoms out and is real good and tight. the right one is where you adjust your free play make sure you have no side to side movement and dont get it to to tight but make sure it is snug and install your castle lock nut i would advise putting some lock tite on it when you put it back on so it doesnt back off on you while your riding and get the lock nut on there good and tight i used the socket i cut to fit and an impact so it wouldnt come apart on me again.
and the rest is easy just put it back together
i no longer own any hondas
but they wont be forgotten especially the black 1
10 750 blue nocturnal brute
jrfonte1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

hey i just put new bearings in mine and on the left side theres no gap between the swing arm and frame........but on the rigth side theres a big gap do u know what that might be............
madkinss10@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR

Mines like that from the factory and i have never had no problems.
-12" Machined STI HD3
-Custom 2" Snorkel
-EPI Competition Clutch Kit
-Detroit Gearless Locker
-UNI filter
-HMF Performance Series
-Audio tube
-Radiator relocation
-Dual paddles
-35% gear reduction
JWJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Any idea what size allen that is?

Superatv disk brake conversion kit

Hurculined Racks and under side of plastic- Black
Hurculined Plastic Body-Red
emtcg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

17mm allen
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement