Help!, won't start with electric button, only pull start ? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Help!, won't start with electric button, only pull start ?

I am experiencing some problems with my 2005 Honda foreman 500 4x2 standard shift. The electric starter works and turns over the engine perfectly fine but it will not start because it loses spark. However, if I use the pull start instead it will start up with no problems. I figured it was the battery, but I installed a new one with a full charge and experience the same problems. Its an intermedient problem becasue once out of a blue moon the 4 wheeler will start up with the electric button. Its definitely an electrical issue somewhere.

Has anyone experienced this problem or knows anything that could be?

thanks
prboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

i dont know, but i think you would be well off to start at the battery and go point by point to make sure every connection between the battery and the starter is solid. after that i dont know.
<span style="color:green">EFI
ricochet skids
bison bumpers
Moose trapper box
12v cig. plug
26 bearclaws

<a href="http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/express300/" target="_blank">http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/express300/</a>
rockbottom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Send a message via AIM to dacheez17

I would go to your starter, and check the voltage coming off of that. Since your pull start doesn't use that it's more or less like pushing a clutch to get it started. Your starter might be binding, if it's not turning fast enough then it won't create enough of a spark. Battery was a good try, I would see if you can get your 100 bucks back, depending on where you got your battery from.

I just had another idea. I rebuilt the motor I had in my raptor. After I had it done, it sheared off the dowel in the fly wheel. It would crank and crank and crank, we could push start it, but it wouldn't start with the electric start. I'm not sure how this stuff works on these foremans, I have never gotten that far into them. I hope this helps you out.
170 Main Jet
3500lb Venom Winch-died
2500lb Warn Winch now
26" XTR's (awesome)
Extended Carb Vent lines
dacheez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Send a message via AIM to dacheez17

I would go to your starter, and check the voltage coming off of that. Since your pull start doesn't use that it's more or less like pushing a clutch to get it started. Your starter might be binding, if it's not turning fast enough then it won't create enough of a spark. Battery was a good try, I would see if you can get your 100 bucks back, depending on where you got your battery from.

I just had another idea. I rebuilt the motor I had in my raptor. After I had it done, it sheared off the dowel in the fly wheel. It would crank and crank and crank, we could push start it, but it wouldn't start with the electric start. I'm not sure how this stuff works on these foremans, I have never gotten that far into them. I hope this helps you out.
170 Main Jet
3500lb Venom Winch-died
2500lb Warn Winch now
26" XTR's (awesome)
Extended Carb Vent lines
dacheez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to USAF99

dacheez is in the right place. See how much voltage your SOLENOID pulls when starting- it may be pulling too much and discharging the system too far taking spark away- IE, there isnt enough to drive the coil, which wont produce any spark to the plug. Pulstarter, your not draining the system, thus it starts.

Another way to test this is hook your meter to your battery, and hit the electric start. If your battery drops below 10vAC, your solenoid is bad.

My Two Cents....
USAF99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement