Honda foreman TRX500 issue in 4x4 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Honda foreman TRX500 issue in 4x4

I have a 2012 Honda Foreman TRX500. When I am driving the bike in 2 wheel drive everything runs normal, however, when i put the bike in 4x4 it acts like the brakes are engaged. The front of the bike begins to dip down and the rear starts to raise up. I have checked the brakes and they are not engaged. I flushed the front and rear diff, thinking maybe something internal there was messed up however however the fluid was in good shape and there were not metal chunks. I've asked several people, including the dealership and no one has heard of this. In need of some suggestions....... THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Honda Rider

Have you jacked the whole machine up on jack stands and looked to see if one side or both feels like it is binding? Check the wheel bearings make sure there is no binding. Look at the axles and driveline to see if there is something binding or there isn't bailing twine or rope wrapped around them. Look closely at the shaft from the engine to the front diff. Lastly check the front differential to make sure it is open. Do that by having the front end in the air and turn one front tire. The other tire should turn the opposite way. Let us know what you find.

2016 Rubicon DCT TRX500FA6
Warn 2500lb Provantage
Aluminum Products Skid Plates

1999 TRX300FW
High Lifter Disc Brake Kit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Honda Rider

Are the front tires smaller in diameter than the rear tires?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

they are the stock tires
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I'll check the front diff in the morning and will let you know
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

DaBomb6988, checked everything you recommended and everything seems to be normal. Any other suggestions? In the research i've done I have only been able to find two other people who have had this problem and there was no solution posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Honda Rider

Does it limit your top speed? Do turns make it worse or better? Have you owned this since new? Has this been gradually getting worse or just all of a sudden? One thing you could try, although it's not exactly the safest is ride it in 4x4 for a while and see if things get warm. Don't need to go real fast 2nd 3rd gear maybe and see if it gets worse the more you ride it. Ride for a while stop and carefully feel the front driveline. A temp gun would be best but you can do it by feel.

2016 Rubicon DCT TRX500FA6
Warn 2500lb Provantage
Aluminum Products Skid Plates

1999 TRX300FW
High Lifter Disc Brake Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page