Honda Foreman Forums banner

2006 honda foreman 500 final drive

4K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Trenton Luxton 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to the group have and have a few issues I'm trying to figure out so I purchased a 2006 Honda foreman 500 and was told that the drive shaft was broken so I figured it was an easy enough job that I could complete it long story short it was the final drive (diff) that was grenaded as I was tearing apart the rear diff I noticed that there was no nut holding on the yoke and there is threads on the pinion and I am unsure if this is normal or not so my question is there supposed to be a nut and washer holding the yoke onto the pinion I have searched the internet for diagrams or even pictures and have found nothing please help

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you mean by "yoke".

There is a ujoint that goes on the back of the motor under the boot between the motor and swingarm.

There is a driveshaft that goes from that ujoint into the pinion. There are simply splines on the shaft that slide into the pinion, and it looks like a cup (#6 in schematic), not a traditional pinion yoke like you would have on a vehicle.

2006 Honda TRX500FM A FINAL DRIVEN GEAR | Powersports Discount

What's wrong with the rear diff? Stripped splines on the axle and ring gear?

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and yes the splines were stripped on the ring gear so the previous owner welded the Axel to the ring gear witch didn't last so I purchased a newly rebuilt final drive and Axel

They refer to it as a pinion joint and how it slide on to the pinion I am just unsure if it is supposed to to have a nut and bolt keeping it from sliding off of the pinion

On the forum it is the #5 part I am referring too

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/2006/TRX500FA+A/FINAL+DRIVEN+GEAR/parts.html

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure the cup just slides/ is pressed into place.

The nut holds the pinion gear in the diff, and is part number 24. The pinion gear is splined and the cup slides onto the splines. That said, the end of the pinion gear looks to be threaded, so it makes sense that there would be a nut there.

It's been awhile since I got into a rear diff. I've got two in my shop. I will look tonight or tomorrow and say for sure.

If it were me I wouldn't mess with the pinion unless the bearing has play. I'd put the new ring gear in and it should shim to fit the pinion. These ATV diffs aren't quite as precise as a vehicle diff.

#7 ·
Sorry, I did take pics yesterday, but forgot to post them.

No nut or washer on them. The one pictured is an 09 I bought new, and has never been touched by anyone but me.

The cup is just pressed into place. The other diff I have did not have a washer or nut on it either, but I will say that the cup on it was down in there good, and I couldn't pull it out by hand.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.