Honda Foreman Forums banner

Foreman 500 Es conversion

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  action450s 
#1 ·
I doubt this has been asked before as most people go the other way. And I no it's easier to sell my bike and buy a Es. But is it possible to convert a manual shift 500 to Es. Is there a parts list ? Again. Selling is not a option. Thanks

#2 ·
I doubt it's a option because you'll have so much $$$ and time into doing it it isn't worth it. You'll need the shift motor and to run the shift motor you'll need a angle sensor so in turn you'll need a new ECM to control that which then leads to a new wiring harness. Then you'll need the shift bottons and a new display. All that is big $$$ and I'm not even sure if the shift motor will bolt up to your engine?

#6 ·
Would require replacing the front engine cover with an ES engine cover that has a spot for the shift motor, and the rear cover is different as well. Cases will have to be split to put an ES shift shaft in place. Whole engine will have to be torn down, and the front and rear covers will have to be replaced.

#3 ·
Why would you want to take a reliable model and make it less reliable?

The ES models are a footshift with a bunch of electronic crap added to them. If you don't like using a footshift, get a Rubicon where you have Auto AND ES functions. If you're gonna give up the reliability and simpleness of a footshift, you might as well get auto mode too.

I just converted a 350 Rancher from ES to footshift. No way I'd do things the other way around.

#7 ·
Than you are a very lucky man. I own a 2006 Foreman 500 ES with 34 miles on it, 34 and the shifter is giving me a hard time. I only use it for plowing and didn't use it between 2009 and 2013. In 2013 only for a couple of 100 yards. I guess I used it not enough.

#5 ·
ES's are a rube goldberg fix for a problem that doesn't exist. Instead of flicking your foot, you add sensors, an electric motor, buttons/ shifters, and lots of wire to do the same thing.

If you have two that have never had problems then you are extremely lucky and are an exception to the rule.

That said, if you really want an ES, you'd need a new wiring harness, an ES ECU, front engine cover, shift motor at a minimum. Probably need rear engine cover as well depending on where the angle sensor is on the 500 ES's.

Sell the FM and get an ES. Around here the footshifts bring more money so you might actually come out ahead. Nobody around here wants the ES's.

#8 ·
Yes ES shift models have a LOT more issue with shifting problems
do a search here or any honda forum and you will find countless pages of related E shift issue's and problems
and I agree with the cost and time invested won't be worth your while
be way better off selling and just buying what you want
not what you wish to hear I am sure, but honest advice!

#9 ·
Years ago, cycle country made an aftermarket electric shift kit for Honda's. Google Cycle country electric shift or Electrixshift. I don't think they still make them but you may find one out there somewhere or on EBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.