Honda Foreman Forums banner

Pre buy for future trans. issues?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jeepwm69 
#1 ·
So I recently bought a 07 500 foreman with electronic shift. Has 1k miles and runs and shifts great. In fact everything works great. Here is my question.

Given all the posts I have seen regarding ES models eventually having problems with first gear, should I have consider buying the upgraded '09 gearbox replacement for the Atv? So I have the parts avail when failure occurs?

Reason I am asking is because..I have kids that are going to be using it in about 2 yrs and it will likely be a matter of time (5 yrs) before the ES causes the shifter to be worn out. I just don't want to be in a position in 5 yrs where I can't get parts.

Yes I am assuming my kids will be shining the atv "hard".

#2 ·
only buy the 1st gear (any year 500 1st gear you order will be the updated gear ) and it wasn't only the ES models that rounded the dogs off the back of the gear ......... the shifter models do it too ......if it was me I wouldn't worry about it until it slips........

#3 ·
CK. First gear in my 07 500s didn't start slipping till I put 27" Backs on and went hard on it. So if ur staying with a less aggressive Tire or smaller Tire you should be good.
I'll post a pic of what my olife gear looked like.
Also Rich has good advice. Don't fix it if it ain't broke

Attachments

#4 ·
never hurts to have parts
but, at same time, if it ain't broke, don't fix it works too~

and who know's,
by the time your kids break it, they might not want it anymore, or better options on things might be about??
I doubt the gear is that $$$< so, if you feel like sitting on a WHAT IF GEAR, go for it

#5 ·
I'm big on extra parts. I have a shop full of them....BUT that part is for Foreman footshift and ES models spanning 6 years, so it's not going away any time soon. It's about $60 for the two gears, so if you wanted to order it it's not like you'd have a big chunk of money tied up in the part, but then again, you might NEVER need it.

I wouldn't order it till you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.