Honda Foreman Forums banner

2005 foreman 500 muffler replace

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Bigcodes 
#1 ·
Hello everyone so when I bought my foreman used I was warned that the muffler would have to be replaced eventually because it's rusted out and rattles when idling , can someone send me a link or something explains the procedure of how to swap out for new one? Also what do you guys recommend for a replacement I've heard the oem ones are quite pricy I'm not planning on swamping the thing just want power and performance more then anything , any opinions would be a help
Cheers!

#2 ·
You won't get much power from a "performance" muffler, and they're loud and annoying as ****. If that floats your boat, I'd look at HMF, and keep in mind you'll need to rejet your carb. I found a buddy an 06 Foreman not too long ago with an HMF and a jet kit in it. I couldn't tell any difference in his and my stock Foreman (exact same bike) except that his was annoying to anyone within 1/2 mile of him. I told him if he wanted to hunt/ride with me he had to get rid of it.

I picked him up a used OEM muffler for $80, sold the HMF for $100, and spend the difference on a new muffler clamp.

The OEM muffler has a clamp with two 12MM bolts on the drivers side of the engine at the end of the header pipe. Take those bolts out, undo the single mounting bolt on top of the muffler, and yank it off. Installation of the new one is reverse. Those 12MM bolts are ususally seized from the heat, so spray them for several days with Kroil or PB Blaster before you attempt to loosen them.

I'd check and see if it's really the muffler on yours or if it's just one of the heat shields that is rattling.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and ya I don't want a loud muffler at all as that would really put a damper on hunting season. Where did you find the oem for 80$? I found used one near town and they want 165$ I'm pretty sure it is the muffler, the shop I brought it from said I should change it out eventually if you hit throttle hard at neutral she back fires . Either way I would like new one this one rusted to ****

#4 ·
Powersportsnation.com. Find the best looking one as they usually have several listed

#5 ·
I put an HMF on mine when I had the motor rebuilt with a big bore kit and all the other supporting mods. I put the spark arrester in mine and it seemed to quiet it down a bit. Still pretty loud at WOT.

#10 ·
I do as much joyriding as I do hunting on mine. I just can't stand riding with someone with a machine that is that loud. It's pointless and annoying.

We took a weekend long ride to South Arkansas one year with a guy who had an HMF on a Rincon. After an hour everyone was sick of listening to it and made him move to the back of the pack so we didn't have to listen to it.

#12 ·
Put a WTB ad on Kijji (or whatever yall call Craigslist up there). Someone will have a good one.

I picked up a new take off muffler for $40 on this forum a few years ago from a member who had just put aftermarket on their new Foreman. Deals are out there if you can tolerate the noise yours is making while you look.

I get putting an exhaust on a machine with a big bore kit that has a lot of internal engine work (like 08 Foreman's build) but slapping an HMF on a stock bike doesn't do anything but make noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.