Honda Foreman Forums banner

New here, need help with 2005 Foreman

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  harig 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased a 2005 Foreman 500 last year, my brother is the original owner. It has the foot shifter, and is set up with a winch and plow. Well, the northeast was blasted with snow today (I am in NJ), and was out plowing for many hours and saw a few things I could use help with please.

First, shifting from 1st to 2nd is **** near impossible. I've searched the forum and it looks like the clutch has to be adjusted. Since it never has been, I'm sure I'll have to pull the front engine cover since the adjuster screw will be seized. My question is, will the shifting be silky-smooth after the adjustment?

Second, the gas gauge on the digital display just flashes, even with a full tank. Has anyone seen that?

Third, since I've been plowing, I'm raising and lowering the plow constantly. After a few hours, I noticed that when using the winch, the lights and digital display would dim. I'm wondering if that could be a problem with the battery, or perhaps the charging system can't keep up? If so, are there any upgrades?

Fourth, the winch switch is a generic model that mounts far away from the left-side grip. I'm wondering if there might be a switch that might be used next to the grip. I know it sounds weird, but I got annoyed at having to move my hand to lower the winch up and down. A switch next to the grip would be really nice.

Lastly, the push-button for reverse gets really annoying when having to use it constantly. I see that there are newer-style systems that use a lever instead of the button, but it looks like they are only for newer models. Any ideas?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
OK a few options, there is a reverse mod that allows you to NOT have to push the little button down and hold the brake, do a you tube search and many will show you how,
second, a. For lights getting dim, I gather your battery is getting old, and not up to full power, and all the winching is wearing it down.
As for a winch in/out switch, I have an adjustable mount,from Super winch, that allows me to keep hands on bars to use, so yes that can be doNe,
as for adjusting the clutch, the adjuster is NOT always frozen up, due to lack of being adjusted, that will come down more to howATV was used and stored IMO.
But it should for sure help with shifting, so will using GOOD syn. Oill, it helps most atv's shift better and run cooler too, as plowing snow is hard work to an atv's motor!

If your NOT using a battery maintainer, buy and use one, will get you longer life out of a bettery

#3 ·
Mrbb is spot on.

I've seen some people add the ES shifter to a footshift and then wire thier winch into the Up and Down shift buttons. Looks stock and sounds like it fits the bill, but not sure how much wiring would be involved. I would think the headlight/kill switch/starter buttons would all have the same plug as a footshift, and the shift buttons would have a different plug, but you should verify that before you buy an ES switch.

As for hard shifting, adjust your clutch, and switch to synthetic oil. I put Rotella 15W40 in my rigs for a couple years, and tried the Rotella T6 Synthetic a while back and my FM's shift much better with the synthetic.

Hopefully your clutch adjustor isn't seized. If it is you'll probably have to pull the front engine cover to get it freed up.

#4 ·
I can't help with most things you asked but your dimming issue when using the winch is just that you are using the winch so much that it is wearing your battery down and the alternator just isn't able to fully recharge your battery between the times you are using the winch. Even a brand new battery will eventually wear down if it isn't allowed to fully recharge.
There are a few options here.
1) Dual batteries...this will basically double your usage time before wearing down but as long as the alternator can't put out enough juice on it's own to power the winch the batteries WILL wear down if not allowed to fully recharge.
2) Lessen your electrical needs. Turn off lights, grip heaters, big stereo, starting the atv with the starter...just let it idle if you are off of it so the alternator will be charging while you are off shoveling, etc so more juice from the alt can go to operating the winch and charging the battery.
3) Put on a larger alternator that can put out more amps. I have seen these for the Rubicon but the extra amps were pretty small like 10% more...which might just be enough for you. You would have to do some electrical tests to find out.
Darrell

#5 ·
Oh, and on the blinking fuel gauge, your sending unit is unplugged or is toast. Probably toast.

New one is a little over $40 from Honda East Toledo.

#6 ·
On the idea of a second battery, where has anyone mounted one? I plan to do this to mine and am looking at building a box between the front tires where your VIN number is located. Did not measure it yet but looks like there would be more than enough room.

#7 ·
I have seen people strap a car battery on their back rack and just piggy back it to the factory one just for winter plowing. And I agree with the battery tender, saves a lot of head aches.

#8 ·
16 yrs of plowing snow and NEVER needed a second battery, so I think you just need ONE good ATV battery and you will be fine
NOW If your trying t plow snow and run a BUNCH of add on lights and a radio with an amp??

BUT just raising plow and basic lights, NEVER an issue and I can be plowing for 5-6 hrs NON stop in a big snow fall

so, I think you need a GOOD battery and all should be FINE< don't worry about adding a car battery,

#9 ·
I know it's been a few years, just thought I would update this for anyone else. I switched to Rotella T6 awhile back, and while the shift from 1-2 is better, it's still harder than from any other gear. weird. The clutch adjuster wasn't seized thankfully.

But what jeepwm69 mentioned, I'm getting ready for the snow season and wired up an ES handlebar switch. it plugs right into the factory module and has 3 extra wires that I spliced into the winch. Piece of cake, should have done this a long time ago! Thanks for all the info!

#10 ·
i put my boat battery and battery box on the back of my 2001 ruby back when i used it to plow with it, the stock battery worked good until it got really cold, then the lights would dim from the battery losing power as all batteries do in extreme cold. It also helped my boat battery by being used during the winter. i hard wired a plug to use the boat battery and plug in a battery charger when not in use.
for your info Chrome battery sells a great gel battery for just over $50 i have two that are over 3 years old and are holding up really good. I have a chrome battery in my wife's Arctic cat snowmobile that has been parked in the barn for at least 5 years and it still spins over like new...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.