Honda Foreman Forums banner

Rookie Mistakes To Watch Out For

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jeepwm69 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all!

Just bought my first ATV. It's a 2007 Foreman 500. Since it's a foot shift I'm thinking it's a TRX500FM. I mean, that's what it said on the Internet, but, ya know.

Been working on cars and trucks for 30 years but never fussed with any ATV's. Does anyone have advice to help a guy avoid the typical rookie mistakes? Anything from the best places to buy parts to the best maintenance manual to things to check on a regular basis to "whatever you do, don't...".

Thanks a bunch

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Don't over torque the drain plug or put the oil filter in backwards. I prefer the Honda (Helm) service manuals. You can get free downloads all over the internet or I prefer to spend the money and get the paper back manual. It pays for itself on the first repair anyway.

#3 ·
make sure all your electrical connections have dielectric grease in them if you like water. it only takes "splashed" water to cause a world of headaches on these things. seafoam in your gas is likely a good idea... especially on your atv as its carbureted and already 9yrs old.

#4 ·
I suggest trying to run NON ethanol fuels too
MOST all SUper Grade fuels are NON ethanol too
will cause a LOT less headaches if the atv sits AT all!

a clean air filter too is always a good idea to check, all the more so on any atv that sits, as mice and such like to fill the air box with stuff
and check you oil often, make sure its at correct level!

#5 ·
Thanks everybody

I really appreciate all the input. I was giving it the once-over tonight and felt a bunch of play in the left front tire. Turns out the upper A-arm bushings are worn. Got the arm off and gonna get on the Internet and order a replacement. Looks pretty easy.

Gonna get a Helm manual while I'm surfing and spending. Already got a big 'ol tube of Permatex dielectric grease so it'll be in all the connections. I didn't even think of the ethanol thing so thanks!

There's also some play in the left front CV joint. How hard are they to replace? Easy enough to order and get by with the Helm manual?

#6 ·
I really appreciate all the input. I was giving it the once-over tonight and felt a bunch of play in the left front tire. Turns out the upper A-arm bushings are worn. Got the arm off and gonna get on the Internet and order a replacement. Looks pretty easy.

Gonna get a Helm manual while I'm surfing and spending. Already got a big 'ol tube of Permatex dielectric grease so it'll be in all the connections. I didn't even think of the ethanol thing so thanks!

There's also some play in the left front CV joint. How hard are they to replace? Easy enough to order and get by with the Helm manual?
For the cv joint, what I would do is run it until it breaks. This is if you don't venture far from your house or anything. It isn't worth rebuilding the joint. It's about $60-$70 to rebuild I believe and ALOT of WORK. Just wait till it breaks and buy a new axle which will be around $100 and a lot easier to replace then rebuilding the joint

#7 ·
I wouldn't suggest driving it till it breaks, defeats the whole point of a PM
as it could break in a place that makes life difficult
and a broken CV joint./axle
can lead to other issue's, a broken spinning shaft can beat your a arms up pretty good!, making a smaller repair into a bigger one

replacing a joint isn't hard, do a youtube search, LOTS of GOOD how video's to watch to help make it a easier deal

keep an eye on wheel bearings too
there a wear items as well!

#9 ·
Thanks to both of you. Think I'll go the $100 axle route and order it tomorrow. I really appreciate you all.
I'd buy used OEM before I'd buy a cheap chinese aftermarket part.

Make sure it's the axle and not the bearing. Bearings go out a lot. Don't see many axles get loose unless the boot gets torn.

Reactions: JamesFE4
#10 ·
I have STI axles OFF Ebay, seem very well built and a HAIR better than OEM
and were about a 100 bucks each
and MOST times IF you buy a set, you can get a better deal
IF you plan to keep ATV long, call it a spare part? won't go bad in the box, and will have it on hand till you need it??
JUST saying
NOT trying to get you to spend more! LOL

#11 ·
Good to know.

I bought an 06 Foreman with no engine for $400 and use those axles as spares.:grin2:

#12 ·
Thanks jeepwm69 and mrbb

I had a few things come up so haven't had a close look yet. If I need to replace the axle, I'll check out STI or roll with original equipment. Either way, I'll steer clear of Chinese aftermarket stuff.

As far as keeping it long, it's a Honda so it'll probably outlive me...

Later Y'all.

#13 ·
when I needed a new boot, I like you just did a whole axle, as MY xle was 12 yrs old and figured WHY not just replace and rebuild ond one and have a spare
when I started looking at axles, I found OEM's to be much higher than the STI"S
, and decided to give it a gamble, after I talked to the comoany
then went to Ebay and found if I bought a set(left and right side) I saved like a 30 bucks an axle??
SO< I bought both LOL
expected to keep atv LONG time
well a little over a yr later my other side boot got damaged and so after a 1.5 problem free yrs on STI axle, I swapped out other side too, and
3 yrs and counting, problem free
and I work the **** out of my atv, its a tool, not a toy for me
the shaft was a HAIR thicker then OEM, I measured with a Mic
the treads on splines seemed very nice and sharp cut and clean cut, joints moved nice and smooth and rubber on boot seemed way better than OEM to me, BUT MY boots were 12 and 14 yrs old, so, maybe they were a little dry from age LOL
but even the new joints seemed to bend better smoother than the old one's did
SO I call them a SLIGHT up grade
in 12 yrs from now will see if there still ticking, as I plan to keep this atv till its DEAD
and so far its running GREAT yet, and hope it does for another 16 yrs!
but overall a decent axle!

#14 ·
Good to know. Will keep that in mind if I need another spare down the road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.