07 foreman 500 headlights wont come on and neither will dash display - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 07 foreman 500 headlights wont come on and neither will dash display

Hi,

New to the Foreman sight and have a question regarding my sons 07' 500. went riding this weekend at Mudfest and sometime during the day Saturday he went in a hole and ended up with the left side of the back ( The front end ) handle bars basically under water. Bike never shut off was still running all that good stuff. He came to me a little while later and said his display was off, that couldnt tell what gear nothing ( noted that the display screen was blank ). Looked around couldnt find anything obvious and he wanted to ride so decided would fix when got home. Little while later the headlights went out. Looked again and the 15 amp light fuse was blown, Cleaned the fuse box as best as possible replaced with the spare and all was good.... For a while... Came back a little while later and no lights no center display again. Bike runs fine cranks fine shifts fine etc... The bike has Manual shift BTW Sorry didnt add that earlier. I looked at it yesterday at home and when trying to crank after sitting awhile it seems like takes a minute or so to crank, By that I mean have to feather throttle a little before will crank( like lost prime maybe) but once it cranks and runs not a problem with that again. I took my Fluke ohmmeter and looked checked the post were the fuse would be inserted for the 15A lights fuse and noticed that there was 654 ohms across this ... So I suspect there is a short somewhere in this path... My problem is I need a wiring diagram if any of you guys may have.... Also so on here that could possibly be the light switch bad or dirty or has water in it ?? Any help would be appreciated .....

Thanks

Ron

PS: 07' 500 manual shift 28.95 outlaws 2'' lift and snorkel kit... Thats what all the bike has
mxdadof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I would start with checking connectors for moisture. most likely one has some in it and is shorting it to ground. Try draining the carburetor and see if it helps with the starting issue.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the forum !!!
if the left bar wend under water then he started having problems then i would take off the switch assembly on the left side and clean out all the switches with contact cleaner . i can send you a factory honda service manual (on pdf) if you want but it sucks for the wireing diagram
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Welcome to the forum. I would start with checking connectors for moisture. most likely one has some in it and is shorting it to ground. Try draining the carburetor and see if it helps with the starting issue.
I will drain the bowl when I get off and see if that helps... what has me confused is that it only started doing that after the fuse blew.. I wasnt able to check all fuses last nite cause by the time I got around to it was dark and late and gonna mess with more tonight after work but Thinking that he and his friends in a hurry to get bike back running used other fuses and blew them as well... Teenagers LOL ....
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich450es View Post
welcome to the forum !!!
if the left bar wend under water then he started having problems then i would take off the switch assembly on the left side and clean out all the switches with contact cleaner . i can send you a factory honda service manual (on pdf) if you want but it sucks for the wireing diagram
Yeah thats what I was thinking too that possibly the switch got wet and there was water in it and casuing it to short to ground... Please send me that manual it would be great and I will try and figure out the wiring per se.. Thanks for the info
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

here you go ......
Honda_Foreman_500_Service_Manual_Repair_2005-2011_Trx500 FE/FPE/FM/FPM/TM.pdf
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdadof2 View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking too that possibly the switch got wet and there was water in it and casuing it to short to ground... Please send me that manual it would be great and I will try and figure out the wiring per se.. Thanks for the info

Not just kids that do the "ride it till it breaks". My buddy with the Rincon pulls up Sunday afternoon and says "my ride's overheating and the fans not coming on."

Of course, he's just kept riding it out to where I was so I could fix it even though it was overheating. He says "Well, I figured it didn't get THAT hot"...

Blown fuse. Not sure why it blew, but we changed it and his fan started working.
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

"The Wreck"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Executioners on Rubicon rims Perfex
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

"The Project"
2006 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Titan 589's Perfex
2500 Viper Classic Winch

"For Sale"
2007 Rancher 420FM Camo
Totally rebuilt. Runs great

"The Chickmobile"
2009 Rancher AT Camo
Sunk, waiting on a rebuild
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Not just kids that do the "ride it till it breaks". My buddy with the Rincon pulls up Sunday afternoon and says "my ride's overheating and the fans not coming on."

Of course, he's just kept riding it out to where I was so I could fix it even though it was overheating. He says "Well, I figured it didn't get THAT hot"...

Blown fuse. Not sure why it blew, but we changed it and his fan started working.
That Barry just hard on equipment. Since I was going in I almost volunteered my rubi and I just take his to your house and leave. But then he wud have to take my rubi to HIS house. I didn't want to so that to her. Lol
Perfex Long Travel Kit
Highlifter Springs
Pod Light HID
2K Viper Max winch

1990 Honda Fourtrax 300
25X10X12 Mudlights
basfnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thumbs down Update

Update: sorry so late guys but here goes : cleaned fuse box replaced all fuses added dielectric grease to prevent corrosion on fuses... Cleaned light switch which was very nasty to say least ... Cranked bike turned lights on all is well... Left running about 20 mins or so and my son went to put up and as soon as he turned wheel to left lights out ... Ok help a little please ... Obvious a short there somewhere and it's only when turning left not right ... Thanks and sorry for late update

Last edited by mxdadof2; 09-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement