Honda Foreman Forums banner

2001 450es engine on 2003 450es???

11K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Redneck_cdn 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 honda foreman 450 es and found a 2001 foreman es was wonder would the engine swap out or is there a difference in the two years. someone told me they where different but i didnt think they were. any help will be great thanks in advance

#2 ·
they should be the same only difference between the 03 and 01 is the 03 has trax lock switchable 4x4 and the 01 doesn't

#4 ·
thanks alot yeah i had a mech. putting the motor off and 2001 es onto the 2003 es and he called and said the motor was different? but i thought the 1998-2004 honda foreman esp were the same?yeah thats the only thing i noticed was the selectable 4wheel drive that was diff. trying to get her back running asap plus i spent 900.00 on motor and last day to return is tues 5/22/12 (14 day return).

#7 ·
There will be a speed sensor on the 01 motor that you won't need, just leave it in place and tie the wires off somewhere. It's possible the gear position switch if different also. Off the top of my head I can't remember if the 02-04 used the switch to recognize 2,3 and 4 gears or the computer like the older ones. Other than that I think it should work fine.

#10 ·
I have played with several Rancher's and side by side the core 350 motors are all pretty much the same. I have to assume.... That a foreman is that way and parts should swap.

#12 ·
thanks for the responses i decided to return the the motor i ordered good price but got the top-end rebuild for a great price original motor had only 672 miles he tore it down should me the problems and why it was smoking. checked the piston oilers crank was tight 180 dead on compression rings looked near new refreshed head honed head and reassemble it i should have it back on some time next week. so one more question what do they call the the sensor on the side of the crankcaase on 2003 foreman es it has a small metal plate around it? thanks in advance guys and does anyone no any good honda parts dealer or places to get parts in or near Atlanta,ga

#15 ·
Compair part #'s

#17 ·
compare part #'s

#18 ·
NO.. the 98-2001 (non-traxloc) front diff uses a longer main shaft on the engine and a different length propeller shaft than found on the 2004-2004 Foreman 450. Found out hard way trying to help a buddy swap a 99-450 motor into a 2003-450. The 99 motor would not bolt into the frame due to the longer length main shaft on the engine. This along with the angle sensor wiring differences made for a failed marriage. The 2003 motor was smoking bad and rattling like a marble in a beer can. Once we pulled the top end to see the 0.60" over bore piston rocking in the cylinder along with the play in the rod it was toast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.