Honda Transmissions ?? - Page 2 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

i had 5700 miles on my 2003 rubicon when i sold it. look at any of my video's and you'll see the way i ride. it was doing just fine when i sold it.

rubiranch has a 2001 i believe, maybe a 2002. he has 16,000+ miles on it and has only done regular service.

i guess they really are junk, right MAC???

2006 HONDA FOREMAN 500ES
HOT GRIPS HEATED GRIPS
26" Duro Trilobites

http://www.ivestertree.com/
facebook.com/ivestertreeandlawn
SSpeckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

You should really learn to read everything I say, not just what you want to hear/see.

I speak facts from experience not BS from Honda "die hards" that like to manipulate information to suit themselves. Keep reassuring yourself that your Honda is the best bud. I'll just keep speaking what I know to be the truth.

Nova Scotia ATV Forum

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by mac102004; 02-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.
mac102004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

love the new avatar ss, i just taught my daughter the PB&J song and she loves it
foot guards
K&N filter

LOOK MA NO BELTS !
4MANS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg357 View Post
So, how risky would it be to buy a used '02 Rubicon, with 700mi. on it? And how much does it cost for a new, "updated" Hondamatic? What clues can tell you whether it's working properly or not? Having never ridden a Rubicon, it's hard to know what's "right", unless it's plain obvious. What behavior would you look for to indicate the "state of the (hydro)stat"?

Incidentally, what do you think an '02 Rubicon is worth? Good Condition, 700 miles, Warn winch, tapered snow plow.
SS and MAC are both right on this matter......
Yes SS did some mean things to that poor machine and it never let him down, also rubiranch has over 16,000 miles on his and it is good as new.

On the other hand what MAC said is pretty much the truth..... its a risk you may have to take. Ive seen alot more problems with the older hondamatics that any other quad out there combined. With that low of miles on it and for the right price would I buy it, Yea I probably would. However at the firt sign of something slipping of you notice something just isnt right I would dump it as fast as you can unless you wanna spend about 2 grand on a new tranny.

Theres a lemon somewhere out there no matter what you buy, and theres also that diamond in the rough. Im not saying pre 05 rubis are junk by any means but they are known to have more problems than the newer models.

08 Rubicon
‚——P--;===ฑ--= <-
!‚–’ฏƒนถ

http://youtu.be/U71bn4ZF4K0
h22ate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

there are a lot of people out there that think very poorly of the rubicon simply because of the early hondamatics issues. a quick forum search will confirm this. it was apparently a relatively common (and expensive) problem. personally I have never known anyone to have trouble with a 05 or later hondamatic. I LOVE mine. it does the job very well. it is the single best feature of the rubicon in my opinion.

Last edited by temagamiarearider; 02-23-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: because I cant spell
temagamiarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Honda Lover

The hondamatic cost me $1,100 (new), not hard to install if your handy with a wrench. I replaced the oil pump, timing chain, rings/piston while I was in there just because. If I were to run across another one for the same price and with the same problem, I'd do it again in a heart beat.
HTQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Honda Addict

A 02 Honda rubicon with 700 miles, winch and plow will be worth between $2800 to $3500 if it is good shape. Where is it located? I might buy it. I have an 02 that I bought with 225 miles on it. It now has nearly 5000 miles. I thought the hondamatic was going to die at about 1500 miles, look up my old posts. I nursed it back to health and have not had a problem since. I believe the most important items are to let it warm up before getting on the throttle and to change oil constantly with a good synthetic oil. Just my opinion and I hope she lasts as long as Rubi's.
joelukex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement