Honda Foreman Forums banner

Falls on its face under acceleration

22K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Pat S 
#1 ·
I've been having a low power problem for a while. Not real bad but noticeable. So I had some down time and I decided to do the lemon juice carb clean (which worked well). I reassembled eveything last night per factory specs and know I have a VERY sluggish acceleration and it pops at full throttle. But has a very nice idle quality. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
welcome to the forum. did you make sure your air/fuel mixture was at factory 2 5/8 turn.
and then if needed adjust from there. thats a good start from there

#5 ·
I set pilot at 2 5/8 and and Im running the airfliter straight off of carb (air box cracked, new one on order). The rubber diaphram was hard to get to stay seated so that might be the problem. I'll check it tonight. Why would you ever need to adjust pilot jet? Thanks for all the help.

#6 ·
pilot jet and pilot screw control idle to 1/4 throttle...the needle slide, diaphram, needle taper, needle position, and needle jet control ~ 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. and the main jet controls full throttle. Some overlap each other but that is the basics to know when trouble shooting a carb. Someone correct me if i missed somethin

#8 ·
Got home last night and drained the tank and float bowl. Fuel did'nt look bad but flushed it anyway. Added fresh fuel with Seafoam. Removed top carb plate and sure enough the diaphram was installed incorrectly. Reinstalled and reassemled. Runs great. Also moved slide needle to lowest position to see if that helps low end pull. Too cold to ridelast night, but I'm hoping that it will do good under a load. Thanks for yalls help.

#9 ·
Well it ran pretty good most of the weekend and then on Sunday it didnt want to idle and seemed to be lacking power a bit (my buddies 300 left me in his dust!!). So I pulled carb back apart and found a little debris in bottom of float bowl. Cleaned again and I'm considering performing carb mod (drill out slide). I'll reassemble tonight and try it. What recomendations about weak top end? I'm getting all kinds of s**t about this bike being slow.

#13 ·
I hope I get an chance to prove that soon to these jackass friends of mine! I know they are working beasts, I was just hoping to get a little more umph. Im pretty certain my Rancher was peppier but I cant prove it (no speedometer).
Mine runs great but can't get no more than 42mph out of it. My buddy's polaris 500 will smoke mine and is a couple years older but i can't wait for the day that belt smokes:lol:

#11 ·
there also designed to pull the other bikes that break down. lol

#14 ·
Well as of right now, it's running as well as I think it can/should. I did get to test out it's low end torque this past weekend dragging some logs out of the woods and it did very well. I did get up to 44 mph with 26's on flat ground. I believe thats fast enough. I'll keep my eyes open for an old 400 ex to scratch that speed itch! In the meantime this seems to be a very solid machine that I will enjoy for years to come. Thanks for all the feedback.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.