99 TRX 450 ES Shift Issue - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 99 TRX 450 ES Shift Issue

I was out Monday for the first time with the Forman I have --- Ran flawlessly all day .... except the ES failed. It shifted for a few laps, then failed, and I reset the ECU with the ignition key, used the emergency shifter to place back in "N", and all was well..... it failed later going up a hill and ES was 100% failed for the remainder of the day (does nothing --- 2, 3, 4 shows "-" on the display when shifted with the manual shifter).

I have the Honda tech manual, the ES Shift problem stickey from this forum and some time today...... so I plan to rip into it. The battery is new, I checked all the fuses ... BTW the wiring diagram calls for a 15A fuse going to the shift motor, but the white fuse box in the battery tray calls for 30A .... not sure what's up there.

I am sure the gear positon sensor is good (Getting the display to show "R, N, 1, 5"--- so I am guessing its a connection, Angle sensor, Speed Sensor, Bad reading from the Ignition RPM circuit, or ECU has died.

Also, I found oil in the engine on the flywheel as I was checking the timing marks when I adjusted the valves --- this did not seem normal to me .... and I was wondering if this could get on ignition components such as the ignition pulse unit and all be causing my "Sneezing" idle issue and possibly sending a bogus RPM signal to the ECU which may affect ES shifts ?
99trx450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

its normal all the electronics are in a oil bath and is how thay are cooled
on the fuse i would go by what the manual says (cover could be off a different machine)
i would check and see if its charging , with a volt meter
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

also adjust the clutch if its been awile
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Start with checking the angle sensor since it's the most common problem. The computer tells the display when it's in 2/3/4 gear so if it detected a problem with the ES system it will display the --.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Main Relay

Main Really :

I have been going "textbook" ESP trouble shooting with the Honda Tech Manual and I got as far as Page 21-4 testing ECU 5 pin connector (Red/Yellow) voltage. I had both ECU connectors unplugged (16P and 5P), ignition on, and then tested for Voltage in the 5P (Red/Yellow) wire........... I got 0 volts when its expected to be 12V +.

So ........... I went to the Main Relay and tested the ground wire (Green); it was OK and grounded. (Red / White) input wire was tested at (12 Volts). I also tested for shorts both relay wire outputs (Red / Yellow) and (Black / Orange) and neigher are shorted.

So ........... Looks like the Main relay is not outputing voltage on the (Red/Yellow) wire which is the Voltage power for the Shift Motor.

I did try a workaround : Pulled the Main relay and sent 12V back through the Red/Yellow wire with ECU 16P and 5P connectors installed .... no shifting..?@?@?@

Question : How do I test the Main elay more thourghly ? Can this be the sole issues ?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Finished

Long day trouble shooting.

I went thru the Honda Manual procedure and the problem appeared to be a loose connection under the front fender. It was the module that appears to be the "brains" to the machine ... not the ECU, Fan Control, or Ignition Modules ... the last one (not sure what it is). The only way I found it was I was disconnecting EVERY connection in the front and cleaning with contact cleaner and adding dielectric gease.

Anyway ... I had already checked the Main relay, angle sensor, Up/Down Switch, reverse Switch etc. and everything checked out.

I will state the factory manual appears to have a problem ---- the Yellow/Red lead wire at the 6P ECU never gets 12 Volts while troubleshooting ..... at least for me it did not (see my original post above).

Great forum to share woes and triumphs.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Cool Still Havings Issues

Here's the background with this intermittent ESP shift problem.

I can go out there right now with the engine off and turn the ignition switch and all ESP functions correctly with the motor off. I start it and run it for 15 minutes idleing or moving and then the ESP quits after several good shifts. I then shut the ignition off and it will NOT reset at all -- bascially ESP is dead. I can return to the garage in an hour or so --- and turn the ignition on (not starting the engine yet) and the ESP works again with the motor off. When it start is -- it ends up quiting again.

I tested the items above (all connections, fuses all good, angle sensor, shift switches, -- speed sensor works as well as the shift module (R, 1, 5) as stated earlier in this complete forum thread. I also just replaced the Continuous Current Module which has 100% nothing to do with ESP !!!

Any tips ?? Could it be the Main Relay is intermittent and kicks out Power to ECU ? How do I test the relay ?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Hi 99trx450es! I have a similar problem. Did you found the problem? I also have the Honda's OEM service manual and I'm troubleshooting by the book. I can't disconnect the 16P connector. Any tip about how to disconnect it?
artgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement