125 hours/ 650 miles and smoking like a train. - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 125 hours/ 650 miles and smoking like a train.

my honda has been babied its whole life, sat on trailer for the last year and i know this because it was my grandfathers. so i have put around 80 hours on it in the last month. (actully about 45) but i left the key on and ran up the hours.
so i put a 2" lift on it. i was ridding around the other day and it started smoking. so i changed oil and filter. stoped smoking for about half an hour then started pouring white/grayish smoke. still has ton of compression. so what is it. i dont want to replace topend and it not be the right thing.. HELPPP!!!!!!!!!
Hot Honda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

to the forum. Try a carb cleaning and adjustment?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

you think that could make it smoke? still has power and get up and go. also
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

My guess, a ring stuck while it was sitting. It's not a common problem but does happen. Sometimes just riding it will cure it or a simple top end overhaul has to be done.
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

what about gas? i filled it up with super at the fuel station and like 20 seconds later i was seein a puff come out about every second. and now its just a strait stream. even when you kill it, it will puff out the carb.. bike starts right up. and when you just crank it over with the kill switch off it doesnt sound like its spinin fast like there is no compression. is there a compression release on these engines like the fourtrax motors?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

No compression release on these. Also while cleaning your carb, pop out your spark plug and squirt a shot of penetrating oil into the cylinder. If a ring is stuck this may help it out..... I wouldnt recomend starting it right after you do this, give it some time to do its job and penetrate and then give it a shot. Dont be skimpy with it either.

08 Rubicon
‚——P--;===ฑ--= <-
!‚–’ฏƒนถ

http://youtu.be/U71bn4ZF4K0
h22ate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

okay. ill try that. "WD40" should work right? carb was spotless.. could the smoke be oiling from oil buildup in exhaust? tryed to take the muffler off and it seams to be stucck on the header piece. i hope i can get this fixed without spending a grand
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I would say use PB Blaster instead of WD40. I've always been amazed with what that stuff will loosen up. Spray it in and let it sit a day or two.
nbeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

okay. ive sprayed just about the whole can of pb blaster in the spark plug hole... ive read about the "valve guide" being messed up. is there anyway to check it without pullin the head?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Dont start the engine with a whole can of PB blaster sprayed in there. Crank it over with the Spark Plug out to remove the bulk of the fluid before starting.

i'd also change the oil soon after in order to remove any PB blaster that seeped down to the base diluting the oil
action450s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement