01 rear axle repair question - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 01 rear axle repair question

I've got a 01 450s and the rear end has gone out. I've figured out 3 options that I'm considering and want opinions.

1) buy entire oem rear end ($435)+oem axle ($105) = $540+shipping
2) buy oem ring gear ($313)+ axle ($105)+bearings2/seals2 ($44.32)=$462.32+shipping
3) buy armor-tech parts on ebay axle ($130)+ring gear with bearings/seals ($145) = $275 free shipping

If I go the oem route it seems a no brainer to get the rear end as a unit for only $80 more.

I'd like opinions on the armor-tech parts related to quality and durability. It seems to be the way to go, but I'd like opinions.

Thanks - Dan
dward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thought I'd update on progress. I took the rear end apart and what I didn't realize was that the bearings and seals for the rear diff actually ride on the outside sleeve of the ring gear. The axle slides through the inside of the ring gear and it's seals and bearings are out on the end of the axle tubes. I had expected the worn gear teeth to be inside the diff, but whatever wears off there ends up in the axle tubes.

I ended up with a stripped ring gear and axle and the bearing and seal on the left side were bad. The bearings and seals for the differential were good. The axle bearings and seals on the brake side were good and after reading up and seeing the layout, it's because there are two axle bearings where it goes through the brakes. I did order another seal for where the hub goes into the brake drum as it had a few cracks in it and is a rather large seal that seals in two directions.

I'm guessing the major reason the axle and ring gear go bad is because the seal and bearing go out on the left side which allows excess play in the shaft and also allows water to get in which corrodes the axle and ring gear to boot. My advice would be to preventatively pull the hub and axle tube on the left side and make sure the bearing and seal is good on that side. It's pretty easy to do, and doesn't require removing the axle.

I ended up getting the parts from Mazurs Atv as it was about half the cost of oem and I didn't read anything negative about the armor-tech parts.

FYI - I also ended up grinding/cutting the axle nuts off as even with a 30mm socket they were locked on pretty good and I just ordered new ones with the new axle.

Dan

Last edited by dward; 06-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.
dward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry for the late welcome but welcome to the forum. That's good advice and sounds like your back up and running.
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via MSN to gelosy2

I have the armor tech set in my bike (bought it on ebay). I have run it for almosta year with with no problems. I agree that the weak link in the system is the left side bearing and seal. I found out that the bearing was gone after a long day of spinning in circles on a frozen lake. It handled a little funny on the trip home. What happened is the bearing failed and most of the pieces of the outer race and the balls were ratteling around in the axle tube. I guess more attention to maintenance is necessary. I reciently had my universal break, broke the shaft between the rear end and universal and bent the output shaft. Even with enough stress to do that, the rear end never missed a beat. I took it apart and the splines are still beautiful.
-Progressive 512 shocks
-DGL and 424
-Dynajet and UNI filter
-ES floorboards
-27" Dirt Devils
gelosy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement