Honda Foreman Forums banner

Which is better S or ES? and other questions from a noobie

37K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  LYCABOSS 
#1 ·
I have the S version so it's really too late to change my mind there but wondering what the general consensus is. I've always thought the S version is more robust and cheaper to repair if needed. The ES is definitely more convenient but I'm an engineer, I'd rather have robustness than ease of use.

While I'm at it I might as well ask if there's a stickied post on the typical maintainence items you should do when buying a used vehicle. I'd guess oil and filter, plug, and air filter? Also going to be looking for a battery soon, been pull starting but planning to add a snow plow for next winter. From what I've seen so far, man the batteries are insanely expensive. Is there a good priced source, likely mail order, or some type of alternate battery that may be close to the correct size? It's tough looking at paying more for my atv battery than my 800cca van uses, and with a worse (if any) warranty :p

I bought this thing out of a neighborhood garage and it's virtually perfect with very low time. Only down side is it's a 99 so no 2/4wd switching. Looks like it was probably rode around on the street more than anything. Do any foreman's come with locked 4wd or just limited slip front? Is this a weakness? I've noticed some utility's have a locked mode which would seem superior for hardcore off roading.

Found used snow plow on craigslist, was attached to a rincon. Any chance of direct fit up? Moose brand. Suggestions for inexpensive winch? I've seen $99 at tractor supply and even cheaper at harbor freight. Doubtful I'll ever submerge over the winch, I'm pretty boring. Are second seats available for foreman? Referring to those with back and armrest that bolt to the rear rack.

Forgive me for all the questions, new to the "scene".

See less See more
#2 ·
1. S is much better than ES. Less moving parts, better reliability, and IMO more fun. Just look at all the posts about ES problems.
2. Check oil, plug, filter, front diff oil, rear gear case oil, brakes (front and back drums), and bearings. Replace what is necessary. Adjust vavles. A honda Shop Manual is a great thing for this. They cost about $50 (same book Honda mechanics use at the shop) and tell syou how to tear down the entire bike with pics for just about everything.
3. Front has a differential, not limited slip. Rear is a solid axle. Bad for riding on the street.
4. Moose plows are good. I have one and works great. Don't cheap out on the winch. Even though it wont get submerged, the elements can get to a cheap winch.
5. Second seats are not available because the Foreman is a one person quad so it is "illegal" to ride with two people. I would just put a towel on the rear rack for a little added comfort for someone elses. Thats what I do but I always drive, so I am on the nice, comfy seat. lol.

#11 · (Edited)
1. S is much better than ES. Less moving parts, better reliability, and IMO more fun. Just look at all the posts about ES problems.
2. Check oil, plug, filter, front diff oil, rear gear case oil, brakes (front and back drums), and bearings. Replace what is necessary. Adjust vavles. A honda Shop Manual is a great thing for this. They cost about $50 (same book Honda mechanics use at the shop) and tell syou how to tear down the entire bike with pics for just about everything.
3. Front has a differential, not limited slip. Rear is a solid axle. Bad for riding on the street.
4. Moose plows are good. I have one and works great. Don't cheap out on the winch. Even though it wont get submerged, the elements can get to a cheap winch.
5. Second seats are not available because the Foreman is a one person quad so it is "illegal" to ride with two people. I would just put a towel on the rear rack for a little added comfort for someone elses. Thats what I do but

#3 ·
s is good cause with the es its hard to hold your beer and drive!

#4 ·
Isn't that what this is for:

Is the front differential a negative for hard trail riding vs some of the manufacturers "locked" diff settings? Are all hondas this configuration? I had looked at a Grizzly last summer for about the same price, similar engine size and condition, and had the lock setting.

Wonder if I could retrofit a back seat even though one isn't made to fit? I'd most likely be for my daughter who's 50 lbs-not too big.

Any good value winch suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

#6 ·
a friend of mine has a 01 450s and it's a little tank. he abuses it to **** and it never ever complains. was the weak first gear just a 500 problem and not a 450 issue with the foot shifts? biggest drawback to the footshift vs es is the wet feet in deep water if you need to change gears for some reason... also you have to watch your left foot on the foot shift. Ive caught my boot toe a number of times being careless in rocky terrain...

#9 ·
See now I like the ES. It's nice if I'm going through some water and don't wanna get my feet wet. Although many times I wanted the S just so I could buy the mud shifter. Either way your good.

#10 ·
im partial to foot shift, i usually know when im gonna be in the water so wear appropriate foot wear. otherwise i just kneel up on the seat an reach down an shift with my hand if necessary. i usually dont venture into anything too deep though. plus i ride a lot of sport quads, so im used to a standing agressive riding style, and shifting. an it leaves my thumb free to run a winch for plowing in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.