Time for another new battery, some 12AH, some are 14AH, difference? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Well 90% of my 99 foreman 450ES use is in the winter, plowing my driveway. It's my own fault for not putting the battery tender on it for the summer, but I've got another dead battery. I'm shopping online, and I want one that's pre-filled, and pre-charged, I see most list a 12AH battery, but some list a 14AH battery for the same part number. From what I can tell this should be a 14AH battery for this wheeler right? Yuasa and interstate parts seem to show a 12AH rating though.... Is there an advantage to the factory filled/activated batteries as opposed to the cheapo ones that you have to fill yourself? I thought true AGM batteries don't have acid that you have to pour in them? I'm confused again

Here's one that I'm looking at that lists a 14AH rating, and is factory filled/activated. Any advice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYOSUNG-GT6...#ht_9886wt_1165
szembek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Original is a YTX14-BS so that one will work (quality I have no clue about). You want a 14AH battery (amp/hour) especially in the cold. The 12 is a smaller battery physically and amperage. I have had great luck with Yuasa and Interstate but have never been around the one you posted.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Lover

QUOTE (toodeep @ Dec 8 2009, 11:47 AM)
Quote:
Original is a YTX14-BS so that one will work (quality I have no clue about). You want a 14AH battery (amp/hour) especially in the cold. The 12 is a smaller battery physically and amperage. I have had great luck with Yuasa and Interstate but have never been around the one you posted.

Yeah, when I go to the yuasa site, they list the YTX14H-BS, and YTX14-BS as the right batteries for my foreman, but they list in the specs that both of these are 12AH batteries. What gives with that? I'd prefer to stick with a named brand, but not if they are only making them at less than OEM specs. It seems when I search online, or go to a store, the ytx-14bs seems to only indicate the dimensions and voltage, the AH varies.

IT's the same with the Excide battery I called about. Excide, Yuasa, and Interstate all list a 12AH battery for part number YTX14-BS.... I would have thought that a part number would specify the AH, guess not. Maybe I'll just buy a $40 ebay battery if they're all 12AH.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Just a conclusion to this rant of mine.... I bought the motobatt. I found some really good reviews and it supposedly comes with a 2 year full replacement warranty. Also it has 4 posts, so will be able to throw a charger on without removing the bracket that the seat sticks into! I'll let you guys know how I make out. $65 shipped for a 14AH battery with 2 year warranty seems like a good deal to me. I guess my complaint is just different companies selling batteries with different AH ratings under the same part number, but I guess that's just how battery part numbers work.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Lover

FYI I bought the motobatt on eBay for $65 shipped. It's 14AH, and has a 2 year warranty. It has 4 terminals which is handy for hooking up a float charger without taking the battery bracket off. It was a little difficult to hook up the stock cables to it, but using a longer bolt it worked great. Also this battery is a little shorter than stock, so it comes with a plastic spacer you put under the battery so the bracket still pushes down on the battery.

Battery showed up filled and read 12.75 volts when it arrived. After I plowed the driveway it read 13.00. I put the float on it and it read 13.15. Hopefully this one lasts me longer than a year, I think the float will help.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

I have a Midtronics battery analyzer that I use for testing batteries and there is a large CCA range on ATV batteries .. In the 12AH or 14AH batteries the CCA can be anywhere from 200 to 350 CCA .. Yuasa batteries usually test the highest ..

================================================== ==
Honda Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Send a message via AIM to bigcrzyrdneck

i didnt notice if any one already mentioned it but it you have a couple of hundred buck and want to buy prabaly your last batt for it i recomend a odessy ive seen and heard nothing bad about them i would of got one for mine but i bought an optima first. with the odessy you can get a step bigger turn it on its side and it will fit in the original spot. it am agm batt no leak.
06 800EFI Polaris snorkled, dual gel batteries, custom floor boards, 29.5's 10's & 12's, custom rear cooler/bumper/wheely bar,epi heavy duty front and rear springs,custom built 8 speaker stereo
00 Foreman 450es bored to 475 3-4 inch lift. custom exhast snorkel, itp rims 28x12.5x12 Outlaws all the way around, stereo 3 6x9's, optima red top battery, vw coil shock up front and 3/4 square tubing out back, just waiting to be irsed
bigcrzyrdneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Addict

We have always had good luck out of the Yuasa Batts. Dad has one in his 1998 Foreman 450s that is 9 years old and still starts the bike with ease. Grandpa's 1985 BigRed 250 has a Yuasa Batt in it also and it is also 9 years old (replaced asame time as the foreman) I started the ATC tonight and it hasnt been started in a while and its cold natured and the battery spun it over until it started.
2005hondarecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Lover

QUOTE (2005hondarecones @ Dec 17 2009, 09:40 PM)
Quote:
We have always had good luck out of the Yuasa Batts. Dad has one in his 1998 Foreman 450s that is 9 years old and still starts the bike with ease. Grandpa's 1985 BigRed 250 has a Yuasa Batt in it also and it is also 9 years old (replaced asame time as the foreman) I started the ATC tonight and it hasnt been started in a while and its cold natured and the battery spun it over until it started.
I only got a year out of my last yuasa. Bad luck maybe, but now that I'm keeping the float on I think I should be OK.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Addict

my 99 450S is still running strong on the original Yuasa battery. With this luck I had a friend get a replacement Yuasa battery for my Goldwing. The battery came from the honda service center where the bike was built....not a bike shop! I'm afriad to take the bike out if it drops below 40 for the fact it barely has enough to turn the motor over. I have heard of some guys having luck with batteries from NAPA and at a fair price. That is probably where my next one will come from.

05 Rancher ES on type 5's in 25" Mudlites
Warn 424

05 Foreman ES with 25" BKT Wings
2500lb Warn
drranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement