Can you test the stator? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to twiggy

I think my stator is charging the battery, I tested my battery and it's fine. But after about 30 minutes of riding it's hard to shift and i have to shut off the lights to get it to shift. I also have to charge the battery anytime i go riding. Is there anyway to test the stator before i buy one? or any other ideas what it might be?
2 55w driving lights
2" lift
300w stereo system
diamond plate skid plate
and CV guards
saddle bag
cargo box
blacked out wheels
1,500 LB winch
twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

how new is your battery?
dynojet, DGL
k&n air filter supertrapp mudslinger
hl springs,
2" lift
28 mudzillas on itp alum wheels
Thumper 480 BBK
web cam
timchis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

There is a good possibility that the voltage rectifier is the problem or related wiring. The rectifier is found attached to the frame just above the right rear tire, Try unplugging the rectifier and testing wires. The red wire should have battery voltage all the time. The Green should have continuity to ground. The 3 yellow wires come from the stator. There should be .1 to 1 ohm between each yellow wire and there should be no continuity between each yellow wire and ground. With the rectifire connected, there should be about 14 volts at the battery while reving the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you test the stator?-capture.png  
jdelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to twiggy

The battery is about a year old
2 55w driving lights
2" lift
300w stereo system
diamond plate skid plate
and CV guards
saddle bag
cargo box
blacked out wheels
1,500 LB winch
twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I'm not sure on all bikes but on my 250r the stator checked out to be fine. So after rebuilding the whole engine and buying a new cdi and everything I sent the stator off and this was the whole problem to begin with. So I would not trust ohm'ing it out.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (hondatech103 @ Nov 11 2009, 10:44 PM)
Quote:
There is a good possibility that the voltage rectifier is the problem or related wiring. The rectifier is found attached to the frame just above the right rear tire, Try unplugging the rectifier and testing wires. The red wire should have battery voltage all the time. The Green should have continuity to ground. The 3 yellow wires come from the stator. There should be .1 to 1 ohm between each yellow wire and there should be no continuity between each yellow wire and ground. With the rectifire connected, there should be about 14 volts at the battery while reving the engine.
hey im new here not sure if doin this right but am havin troubles with my 02 foreman s was runnin fine parked in shed after run about a week later went to start it no power never had a problem before battery was dead now will start with pull cord and runs fine but lights are low power and pulse digi dash acts weird when lights are on everything flickers on and off when lights are off nothin shows on dash never charged bat but with bike runnin charges just under 8 volts runnin with bat disconnected charges at just over 4 volts how do you test regulator am goin to try testin wires and also where you get that diagram is it a web site that i could look at also bike has almost 9000 kms i ve had it since 1200 and i dont think bat has ever been changed but ive never had one problem with power and the bike sees pretty frequent use thanks for any help
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (hondatech103 @ Nov 11 2009, 10:44 PM)
Quote:
hey im new here not sure if doin this right but am havin troubles with my 02 foreman s was runnin fine parked in shed after run about a week later went to start it no power never had a problem before battery was dead now will start with pull cord and runs fine but lights are low power and pulse digi dash acts weird when lights are on everything flickers on and off when lights are off nothin shows on dash never charged bat but with bike runnin charges just under 8 volts runnin with bat disconnected charges at just over 4 volts how do you test regulator am goin to try testin wires and also where you get that diagram is it a web site that i could look at also bike has almost 9000 kms i ve had it since 1200 and i dont think bat has ever been changed but ive never had one problem with power and the bike sees pretty frequent use thanks for any help
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Just to throw some ideas out there but I have not tried any of them yet to verify. It should run with a good battery and the rectifier disconnected. With it running and rectifier disconnected there should be an AC voltage on all 3 phases ( Yellow Wires). Probably around 30 volts with the engine reved up to the 5000 RPM the charging system is speced at. The rectifier needs good ground to charge. Check continuity between the green wire at the plug and the negative (-) battery terminal. This verifies good connection all the way from the rectifier through chassis ground back to the battery. Providing it starts fine with the electric starter then your battery to chassis ground is probably good. The other kicker is that in order for the rectifier to charge it needs a good battery with a charge already on it. The transistors in the solid state rectifier need the battery voltage to switch on and off to regulate charge current and voltage. I've not tried this on my foreman to proove out it works but this is how any other solid state charging system works.

05 Rancher ES on type 5's in 25" Mudlites
Warn 424

05 Foreman ES with 25" BKT Wings
2500lb Warn
drranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via MSN to wydglide

After a year.....you are going to need a battery anyways, their only $30-40

drranch is correct
The transistors in the solid state rectifier need the battery voltage to switch on and off to regulate charge current and voltage. this is how any other solid state charging system works.

P.M. Campbell Co Lodge F&AM #778
99Yamaha Wolverine
06 Foreman TRX500
09 Foreman TRX500 "Trail Dancer"
25" Big Horn's
Mad Dog Rear Bag
Body Armor
Bash Plate
Gamin 76CSx GPS, W/RAM Mount
Warn XT25 conversion to XT30
Glide Build Audio System
Serious case of BGD

I'm not Frugal, I'm a COB...(Cheap old B@stard)

wydglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement