Electric shift not working - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Unhappy

I have a 2004 Honda Foreman that wont shift gears. The Gear selector indicator flashes 5 times and that indicates a ECM motor driver circuit. The 4 wheel drive selector also has stoped working.
I have put power direct to the electric shift motor but it appears dead. My next trick is to remove it and put power to it again. Assuming that it is faulty, I would prefer to fix it - brushes or whatever. It seems you cant buy any parts for these motors and have to buy the whole thing. I live in Australia and the parts here cost 4 to 5 times what they are in the US. (I think they weigh them and work on the price per oz of gold).
Has anyone stripped these motors and repaired them. Are they repairable?
This happened about a week ago and lasted for about 5 minutes and then came good. I used it again for about 2 hours and all ok. when I arrived home it stuffed up right at the gate, would not change and the gear indicator was flashing 3 times. I used the spare gear lever and got it inside. Motor running and still flashing. After turning the motor off and switching back on the gear indicator was flashing 5 times. All it does now is flash 5 times, is staying faulty.
Has anyone had this problem. Has anyone fixed these shift motors. Seems like an ECM unit fault or shift motor. I am hoping that it is a fixable shift motor fault and not the ECM. ( they are nearly $700 here in in OZ)

Thanks all
wegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to twiggy

Sounds like your battery is weak. The 4x4 wont work when the battery is low. Mine has done the same thing after using my winch. Try charging the battery and see what it does.

GOOD LUCK
-Jason
2 55w driving lights
2" lift
300w stereo system
diamond plate skid plate
and CV guards
saddle bag
cargo box
blacked out wheels
1,500 LB winch
twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (ForemanriderJason @ Nov 6 2009, 01:31 AM)
Quote:
Sounds like your battery is weak. The 4x4 wont work when the battery is low. Mine has done the same thing after using my winch. Try charging the battery and see what it does.

GOOD LUCK
-Jason

I have a new battery in it and it spins the motor over really well. Reads nearly 13 Volts after sitting for a week. Battery is perfect.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to twiggy

Well i know the gear indicator flashing 3 times is a angle sensor fault. i hate the angle sensors, i've been through 2 on my 03'. i'm not sure how to test it, but there is a way to test it with a volt meter. it's located on the front left hand side of the engine. Do you get it wet?
2 55w driving lights
2" lift
300w stereo system
diamond plate skid plate
and CV guards
saddle bag
cargo box
blacked out wheels
1,500 LB winch
twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

HondaMechanic has posted a few times with pictures of one taken apart and cleaned. Shift motor does sound like the problem from what your described.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (ForemanriderJason @ Nov 7 2009, 10:54 AM)
Quote:
Well i know the gear indicator flashing 3 times is a angle sensor fault. i hate the angle sensors, i've been through 2 on my 03'. i'm not sure how to test it, but there is a way to test it with a volt meter. it's located on the front left hand side of the engine. Do you get it wet?

Yes it gets wet with salt water. I do a lot of beach fishing. I have tried to waterproof and rust proof this unit and it is always cleaned thoughly with fresh water and sprayed with INNOX. It could have got salt water into the motor, but I do take measures to minimise salt water splashing up.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

have same year formen.. have had the same problem happen twice.. both times it was the ( angel sensor) real ez fix sensor located right on the front of motor
es450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement