2000 Foreman 450 es shift problems. - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

My 2000 foreman runs great (7600 miles) and shifts great untill the motor heats up good. It probably runs about 30 minutes and then the es quits and I have to use the manual shifter. When the ATV cools back down(couple of hours) the es works again. I have been religous with the maintenance and battery is good. It doesn't show any codes and the shift pattern doesn't show except 1 and 5 when es quits when engine is hot. Any suggestions?
Coushattahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Check the angle sensor.
dynojet, DGL
k&n air filter supertrapp mudslinger
hl springs,
2" lift
28 mudzillas on itp alum wheels
Thumper 480 BBK
web cam
timchis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

This happens with mine, but not wen its hot it just doesnt want to shift and the speedometer dont work
dylanfalcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (dylanf @ Aug 26 2009, 02:36 PM)
Quote:
This happens with mine, but not wen its hot it just doesnt want to shift and the speedometer dont work
My speedometer works, it just doesn't want to shift when engine heats up. I've heard angle sensor and ecm. Both are kind of pricey. wanted to know if anyone has had same problems. I know es has had a lot of shift problems but it seems a lot of different fixes.
Coushattahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

yeah but we took it all apart, the battery and all the fuses and took an air compresor at like sand blasting speeds and cleaned it all off and took out the fuses and cleaned them and it seems to b doing better but we havent put the air filter on and rode it yet so idk if it workd
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Addict

I have had to replace two angles sensors. Both times when mine started acting stupid thats what it was. You can actually test the sensor before you buy a new one.
dynojet, DGL
k&n air filter supertrapp mudslinger
hl springs,
2" lift
28 mudzillas on itp alum wheels
Thumper 480 BBK
web cam
timchis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

how do i do all that??
Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

My first post hopefully this helps someone I have been trawling the net looking for a solution to a honda foreman splutter in reverse and only shifting into first and not further (also if you cycle the key whilst it is in drive and restart the quad it will shift through the gears in auto mode but as soon as I stopped it would go into limp mode so I have found out) well it pulled a number 5 code so I did my hunting and found all the info I could and worked out the angle sensor is shot well I ordered another one and fitted it but for the life of me It still wouldnt work it actually got worse and this time it would spit out a 6 code constantly.
well I checked everthing over and over and finally got a hold of a smart honda mechanic by phone and found out that I had fitted the angle sensor in correctly. If you notice when you remove you're angle sensor it is actually preloaded....

CORRECT ANGLE SENSOR FITMENT PROCEDURE

Sit the angle sensor up against the block with the plug facing the front of the quad
twist the angle sensor back towards the rear of the quad to the original postition and bolt the angle sensor in
once this is dine and its all plugged in the quad should run perfect if it doesnt follow the reset procedure
for the shifting (I dont have it handy but its on the net I found it)

Well I hope this gets someone out of trouble......

kingchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

to the forum kingchevy.

While your correct for the Rubicon, very good info for them and they are installed incorrectly many times (I even showed a customer and printed off the repair manual section for him and he still came back with it installed wrong???) but any ways the Foremans aren't preloaded. You just line them up and tighten the allen screws (most important is to NOT forget to put the o-ring on the new one).

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

umm that was wayyyy over my head....put it this way all i know bout jetting is that alot of ppl do it and it helps the performance sumhow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement