03 foreman 450ES cooling fan - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

hey Im new on here I just bought a 03 honda foreman 450ES and I took it through some decent mud and couple trails the machine got real hot and the cooling fan didn't come on yet little worried bout that I talked to a couple honda dealers and they said the machine gotta be ridden real hard for the fan to come on but she sure got hot. I dont have the owners manual for wiring diagrams, i checked all fuses and tried to trace the wires back from the fan, cant seem to find wonderin if anyone has experience doing this or input on when their cooling fan comes on, also what wires from the main connection I can hook up to test the fan. Really dont wanna take it to a dealer.
AAppreciate any input
Thanks
cleetus git r done
cleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Addict

on the rear bottom of engine there is the thermo sensor.I think a blue wire goes to it.
If you disconnect the wire and ground it to the engine the fan should come on if everything is ok.
The key must be on.
4wsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (4wsteve @ Jul 25 2009, 05:43 PM)
Quote:
on the rear bottom of engine there is the thermo sensor.I think a blue wire goes to it.
If you disconnect the wire and ground it to the engine the fan should come on if everything is ok.
The key must be on.
i took the skid plate off and proally looked under there for an hour I cant find any blue wires should it run into the engine or to a connector near the the back right wheel, is there anyway you could be more specific
thanks for the help
cleetus
Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

the blue wire is on the rear of the engine just under the pull rope assem. It has a black rubber casing on part of it to help protect it. It runs back out to the frame behind the right rear tire along with some other connections.

sticks and mud get wegded in there and sometime knock it off. If you have the skid already off you shouldn't have any problems finding it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

i got a buddy that has the same bike.. it will get up to 245deg. on an infared temp gun.. seams hot to me.. my foreman 500 will get 230deg b4 fan will kick on....
yoyokidss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

It doesn't seem like my fan comes on either, I used to notice it coming on. Is it possible for the sensor to go out and how would you test it?
I did put voltage to the fan and it does work.

I pulled the wire from the sensor and the fan runs. So everything from there to the fan is good. My system is either working normal and have not got hot enough for the fan or the sensor is bad. I'll have to monitor it.

Thanks
ttriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

it takes a long time for the fan to come on on my 450s too have to pretty much be hard on it for a while to get it to come on or ride it for a while non stop down the dirt roads. itll burn your legs from the heat before it wants to come on lol.
i no longer own any hondas
but they wont be forgotten especially the black 1
10 750 blue nocturnal brute
jrfonte1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

i have the same model that i use for as working unit and it seem that my fan comes on too often. regular service and no other major problems. it sometimes comes on when the engine feels really cool. its not a real problem i just wondered why... thx for any input
slamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I disconnected the wire and grounded it to the engine and the fan didnt come on, does this mean it is just a faulty wire or a fan problem? Where would I look to put electrical current to the fan to see if it works? can I put voltage to it where I disconnected it from the thermo sensor (may be dumb question)? Any other suggestions on where to look or how to solve the problem would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance
cleetus
Old 09-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (cleetus @ Aug 14 2009, 07:33 PM)
Quote:
I disconnected the wire and grounded it to the engine and the fan didnt come on, does this mean it is just a faulty wire or a fan problem? Where would I look to put electrical current to the fan to see if it works? can I put voltage to it where I disconnected it from the thermo sensor (may be dumb question)? Any other suggestions on where to look or how to solve the problem would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance
cleetus
I am having a similar issue.I took the wires that go to the fan(they unplug under the fuel tank toward the handel bars ) and ran jumper wires to the battery to make sure the fan worked it did.My fan still won't come on like I think it should but maybe it is working right.
ajeans2762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement