01 swingarm - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I have a 01 450es that i just bought. If you look from behind, you can see A 1/4" gap on the right side were the swingarm bolts to the bike. If you push to the left side the gap goes to the left side. let off it goes back to the right side. I got A 17mm allen(if anyone needs to know the size) and the bolt seems to be tight. But I diddn't remove any plastic and didn't get any real leverage.

Should I go ahead and remove some plastic and try to tighten or go ahead and replace bearings? All advice is welcome. Is replacing the bearings a big job?
mik3sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

one side has a regular swing arm pivot bolt which is pulled all the way down and the other side has a pivot bolt with a lock nut on it. you may be able to loosen the lock nut and snug it up some more to get rid of the slack. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If that doesn't take care of then they will need to be changed and of course the swing arm will need to be removed from the bike.

They can be a pain to change sometimes, the factory bearing is a tapered style setup. The taper sits inside the swing arm and a blind bearing puller with a slide hammer will help getting them out, but this is not something that everyone has. I just weld a bolt head to the taper part and use a slide hammer to snatch it out.
Advertisement