Gambit shocks for 450 Foreman - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Gambit shocks for 450 Foreman

I just ordered some shocks from Yasky for the Foreman. This might kill the sale of my highlifter springs for sale, but these shocks are pretty nice. They raised my bike to stock height and support me without sagging (240 lbs). The fronts and rears look different (rears have a silver adjustment ring), but I believe they are the same as the highlifter wide open shocks. They were $139/pair, but it is worth it. I'll get some new pics this weekend, but that is a pretty good price for some gas adjustable shocks.
Warn 2500 winch with AmSteel Blue rope
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
lagernuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Lover

I am confused. After looking at the HL site the 512's they are gas charged, so does that mean that Wideopens are not? What is the difference in ride quality than stock setup. These Gambits are $10 less than the Wideopens? What is the difference between the 2, the shock sock?

I looked on the HL forum but the moderators have deleted users and such that you can't get decipher a real opinion...on shocks anyways.
beastmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default shocks

Mine came with the shock covers and the fronts say gas charged. The only real difference is the rears have the silver adjustment sleeve and the left side top mount had a sleeve that I had to punch out to fit over my stock mounting stud. I am not sure if they are the same as the wide opens, but they look the same and I could only find the front wide opens at yasky, so I bought these. They feel stiff and don't move much at all when I get on. I was used to bouncy sagging shocks, so it is a big difference. They came stock with the rears in the lowest setting and ther fronts in the middle. I am planning on riding this weekend to test them out and play with the adjustment. My foreman rode pretty rough before, so I'm sure it will be a tank now. The shocks die fix most of my toe out from before and I would say it raised the front 2 inches and the rear .5 or more. My front springs were shot from the previous owner leaving the plow off the ground for a long time and a front bumper and winch.
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default front

I'll try to get the new pics up tonight to show the difference. You can see how the front cvs are almost level and the wheels are towed out. The front box says Far Industries and it looks like they make all kinds of aftermarket shocks, but I have never heard of them.
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default With new shocks

pics
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Looks good. Black color goes well with your setup and looks like a big improvement as far as lifting it back up to stock riding height levels are concerned. I am interested in your thoughts in ride quality ie is it softer/harder ride than stock, when you get back from your ride.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default ride

I rode around some last night and feel like they are much stiffer than the old worn out stock shocks. If you hit a big bump it will absorb the shock, but it is a fairly rigid ride otherwise. It is a lot more stable on side hills and seems to turn better now that my wheels aren't towed out as bad. The rear shocks are on the softest setting and I had to squeeze them in there. The fronts are on the middle setting and seem to have a little more give, but they are still pretty stiff. I am going to adjust them down a little to try them out. I have been looking at the 512 pictures and it looks almost identical. I wonder if these are a copy or built by the same company.
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Its almost too bad that we couldn't have a side by side of working stock shocks, and the new Gambits to see how they compare for ride quality and stiffness. Would you say they are more stiff than working stock shocks?

Still, I look forward to what extended ride impressions you have.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default shocks

Well, I rode today for a while and like the shocks. They are a lot stiffer than the stock ones, and do great on everything except for steep hills. They aren't bad, but the old shocks sat so low that it felt much more stable going up hills. I think it will just take a while to get used to them, but I think they will be great whem I need to throw a water tank on the back or double up. They are stiff, but hopefully they will break in and soften up a little. It is also nice having the extra ground clearance.
HMF Penland Pro exhaust
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Lover

I talked with Honda and despite the enormous need for a better OEM replacement shock like the Canadian Trail Edition, they have no plans of making the CTE shock for any other Honda ATV. So Aftermarket is the only way to go. I have seen these Gambit shocks on Ebay as well, and they are sold as "similar performance to the 512". The stiff ride of the Gamibits could be attributed to the fact that your old ones were gone, and new OEMs would be stiffer than what you had.

I noticed that the stock shocks on the front of my ride are of the progressive type just not adjustable, yet the rears are single rate. This is most likely the reason why some sore backsides out there. The CTE have progressive rates on the rear as well from the pics I've seen.

I can't tell in the pic but are the Gambit rears progressive rate as well (tighter coils up top, farther apart on the bottom)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement