oil light on and off - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default oil light on and off

Hi guys, new to forum, having problem with oil temp light staying on a while, then will go off for a bit then come back on, I checked oil level, fuse, both ok, read post about simular problem, but dont no if is came on and off, sent him a pm have not heard anything from him yet. I have 01 450s
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Lover

As long there is oil in the engine.I would make sure the fan is working,if not coming on the fan motor poss could be bad or poss fuse or oil temp switch could have gone bad.If the fan is coming on you poss could have a clogged up oil cooler,try to clean out with degreaser and water hose with some pressure(mud gets caught between cooling fins on cooler).Check to make sure oil filter is in correct direction and not clogged or falling apart.And there could be a chance the temp switch is bad and causing light to come on and not really even overheating.Hope this could help ya,let me know what you find!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

QUOTE ("JF450ES":b9o9sbyf)
Quote:
try to clean out with degreaser and water hose with some pressure(mud gets caught between cooling fins on cooler)
Water?? I would try brake cleaner and. deisel fuel. Those things are hard enough to get water out of when its done on accident why would do it on purpose? I understand the pressue but I would try solvents first and water as a last resort.

No offense JF450, its just not what I would do. It just seems like it would be too hard to get the water back out.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default outside

I think JF450ES meant, was to hose off the outside of the cooler fins to clean any debris blocking air flow.
Cillyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

ok
Old 03-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to Rubicon3303

you prob have a bad connection to the sensor. I heard of this prob a couple of times and its got to be the sensor.

Blown motor, Blown Tranny, Whats next? Next broking rear end maybe Ujoint and out put shaft. lmao "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" "Never Deep Enough
Rubicon3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE ("Rubicon3303":37pwegeh)
Quote:
you prob have a bad connection to the sensor. I heard of this prob a couple of times and its got to be the sensor.
where is the sensor located? where would be the best place to get one?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Lover

I meant to clean the external part of the oil cooler to clean debris.The oil temp light is usually a one wire sensor that works off of resistance and ground.To test if the warning light is working all you have to do is to ground it out to the engine block with the key on and it should light up when grounded.That will tell you if the light and wiring is good.I have seen alot on Hondas its usually blockage of air flow through the oil cooler or the actual temp sender for the light....
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to Rubicon3303

Just go to hondapartsworld.com and look at the microfiche on your bike you will find out everything you need to know.

Blown motor, Blown Tranny, Whats next? Next broking rear end maybe Ujoint and out put shaft. lmao "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" "Never Deep Enough
Rubicon3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

the Temp/oil sensor is located on the rear bottom of the engine by the reverse lever. You will have to remove the skid plate and u should be able to see it from the bottom of the bike. The last one I bought was about $37.00 from the Honda Dealer. To check your fan, take the blue wire that is connected to the temp. sensor and ground it out to the frame with the key on. The fan should come on. If not u might have problems with the fan control located under the front fender by the CDI box. Check for corrosion and/or water in the connections.
Advertisement