Diff lock question - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
Diff lock question

I want to be able to switch in and out of 4 wheel drive. I will need the Wide Open/Warn 424 Switchout. Found that.
Where do I pick up a diff locker though so I'm running 4 wheels locked and not limited slip which I hate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Honda Rider

I would try ebay, you can find almost exactly what your looking for there for cheap most of the time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
I have been on Ebay all morning. No luck.
Guess I should say this differently. There is a spool locker. WHich from other threads I have read, there are different types of locker? So I suppose I should ask the question, what's the difference??

Last edited by Brandon Nelson; 03-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

ok not to be a smart A$$, but what atv are you trying to find the 424 for, and what yr, maybe someone here can help you find what you want??
but a little hard NOT knowing what atv your looking for info on?/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
ok not to be a smart A$$, but what atv are you trying to find the 424 for, and what yr, maybe someone here can help you find what you want??
but a little hard NOT knowing what atv your looking for info on?/
Lol, sorry about that. 2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES. I found the 2x4, 4x4 selector on Ebay, it's the Wide Open one. I've also found a High Lifter spool locker. Just wondering what my options are and what my best options is. I understand the thing is a tank by nature, but was hoping to make it less tanky by opting to drive in 2wd instead of constant 3wd/4wd. I want to swap in and out of 2 and 4wd. It's a mud bike but I also trail ride alot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda Lover

Just so you are aware (in case you don't know) if you run a spool in the front, on any hard surface steering is going to be a bitch and handling will suffer greatly.

Darrell

Last edited by DT400; 03-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Hey Brandon, we chatted earlier but I'll post here for everyone's info.

At one time there was a Detroit Gearless locker available for the Foreman's, I don't think its available anymore. It worked well but required maintenance, had wearable parts and was expensive.

I installed the high lifter spool in my Foreman about 12 years ago, I also have the Warn 424 selector (which is now the Wide Open kit you were looking at).

The spool style locker (even in 2wd) makes the steering heavier than stock. Very noticeable at slow speed on a hard surface like pavement. Once your moving you don't notice it as much, and on loose gravel, mud, etc you can hardly tell its there.

Handling absolutely DOES NOT suffer greatly. I've been riding with it 12 years and 10,000km on all kinds of trail conditions it handles the same.

So the spool is out there for sale, relatively inexpensive, easily reversible if you don't like it, requires no special maintenance or repairs and traction of true 4wd is unmatched by the stock differential, especially the non-trax lock 98-01 diffs like in our bikes. I would not install the spool without a 2wd to 4wd selector as riding on a hard surface would definitely cause something to bind and break.

For ATV projects and crew adventures you can check out my site www.shed-headz.com.

1998 Foreman 450s - not stock
1985 Honda 250sx - in progress
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Honda Rider

Guess you've never heard of the Honda-Lock LOL?? Next time you're spinning grab the front brakes a little bit. It will transfer power to the opposite wheel and get all 4 turning. Obviously it's not a locker like you're looking for. But it can get you over logs and through other obstacles at times.

2016 Rubicon DCT TRX500FA6
Warn 2500lb Provantage
Aluminum Products Skid Plates

1999 TRX300FW
High Lifter Disc Brake Kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Garage
Honda thought the old brake trick was so good they adapted it to the 1000 pioneer limited. What a bunch of idiots... lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
DaBomb6988 likes this.

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb6988 View Post
Guess you've never heard of the Honda-Lock LOL?? Next time you're spinning grab the front brakes a little bit. It will transfer power to the opposite wheel and get all 4 turning. Obviously it's not a locker like you're looking for. But it can get you over logs and through other obstacles at times.
Yeah I'm hip to that but it's utterly useless for me when Mudding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page