Honda Foreman Forums banner

Differential Struggle

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ryan Patrick 
#1 ·
Hello, recently purchased a 450es and I went to check the fluid in the diff and found it loaded with mud, and it also had water in it, While trying to remove the axles I busted a CV joint and ended up removing the differential with axles still attached. I have tried everything.. I even hooked each axle up to vehicles and had a little truck pull with it, I ended up with a snapped strap, broken concrete and a differential still intact. I cant even split the diff because of these axles. these front diffs are too expensive for me, I might cut my current axles and drive it 2wd for the time being until I decide what I want to do with it.

Probem 2, the shaft between engine and final drive does not look good at all, The side going into diff was rusty and the side going into engine had mud as well I checked the oil in the quad and it looks a bit milky could this be the cause? Guess I am going to have to pull the engine, is there a good gasket set I can purchase and go through it with? any input is appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
To remove the CV axles USUALLY all you do is push them in and then give them a good yank. Have to do it a couple of times sometimes. BUT if the diff's and engine oils are muddy I'm sure they are probably rusted up. Try spraying some PB Blaster or etc and letting in soak and spray again. Try getting the spray into the splined area.

#3 ·
Try soaking the innards in ATF. I keep old ATF around when I change the wife's transmission fluid. It makes a great penetrating oil. Works even better if you mix it 50/50 with Acetone.

I'd dunk the front diff in that mixture (or try filling the diff up with it) and let it soak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.