Honda Foreman Forums banner

Lift question

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  OleYeller450s 
#1 ·
I want to add a bigger mud tire on my stock 2001 Honda Foreman 450ES. Looking for suggestions on the best way to go about it and for a recommendation on tires. Thanks!

#2 ·
2 inch brackets would be the easiest way, as for tires? that's an open can of worms, everyone and WHERE you ride and in what? have play into what tires work better or worse, and well everyone has there opinions on tires!

just remember going taller tires takes HP away from the motor, add heavier tires and they also take HP away
depending HOW tall you wish to go, you might want to think about a GR as well!

#5 ·
I don't know what size tires you have now, as you didn't list size
but I would stick to 25-26's if you trail ride a lot and don't want to add a gr to things
sticking to this size, you should also maybe be able to run them without a lift too, making for a better quality ride to it
once you get to 27's your going to notice IMO power loss, and doubt they will fit without a lift

the lift will add a LITTLE wear and tear to an already older machine, thus if you can get by without, maybe leave as is! just saying?

#6 ·
Lift Springs are another option. Bring the suspension back to "new" height. Every tire has a different true height. True Tire size, traction, and weight all play into the factors when choosing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The Foreman will run and turn most 27" tires with ease, I've been running 27" tires for 17 of the last 19 years on my 1998 Foreman, Blackwater XT's at first and now Mud Lite XTR radials. My buddy had a set of 26" Mudzillas on his '02 Foreman and were very underpowered in Peat Bog, he swapped them for Mud Lite XTR's and the bike ran much better. The Mudzilas are heavy and had a very deep lug which I believe caused the underpower issue.

#8 ·
Thanks all. I run factory 25x8x12 front, 25x10x12 rears. I liked Kenda Executioners 26x10x12 all the way around but got talked out of it do to the rougher ride it may provide. Guess I'm back to staying same size and going with ITP XL's. I would like to bump up a size to 26. So, Kenda Bearclaws or ITP XL??? I also ordered a stage 1 dyno jet kit. Probably pointless

#11 ·
First of all, if you're going to mud it run 10 wides up front and 12 wides in back.

You can see my rigs and tires that I'm running in my sig.

The Executioners are HEAVY and dig in the mud. The Mud Bugs are the same price, ride much smoother, pull better in the mud, and are much lighter so the machine has more power.

I liked the Bugs enough to buy another set for the wife's Rancher, and when funds allow I will replace the 589's and the Executioners with Bugs. My Execs look brand new. Probably have 500 miles on them at most, but they ride like crap and suck a ton of power.

I first put 26x10 Bugs on the wife's rig, and it wouldn't pull for crap in the mud. Front tires dig a ditch, rear tires come through with nothing to grab ahold of before you're sitting on the skid plate, so you get stuck. I sold the 10 wide's off the rear to a friend (he put them on the front of his Foreman, and put 12 wides on the rear) and I bought 12 wides for the rear of the Rancher. Totally different machine now. Pulls great through all kinds of terrain.

Reactions: Brandon Nelson
#10 ·
The bear claw htr is my second favorite tire for trail use and some mud. They surprisingly clean out good at slow speeds and keep you going. I run 25s on one of my ranchers and 26s on my BR. They seem to run true to height also.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
So, Ordered HMF Blackout series exhaust to go in conjunction with the Jet Kit. Friends tell me to buy a Maxxis Bighorn knock off such as the Wanda.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KWTO39...&ascsubtag=7aa71a671d5a6b2f5d31e556fc181b49_S

Same tread style, alot cheaper. 6ply radial tire. Tread pattern pretty different than I'm used to. I love to mud but that's the fun part. I have to ride roads and trails probably more than I get to mud.

I was thinking more this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RI64KBY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ACW8M2QXR07XT

#13 ·
Just gonna throw this out there. Bighorns are great if you don't like to mud. They grip great . But if you they will be better than stock but not great. They will slick over with mud very easily. Just saying. I love my its mega mayhems, but they are geared more toward mud. They are still pretty tame for trail riding though, and grip very will in everything but loose sand. I also really like the maxis zilla. Think a little less aggressive mega mayhem.

#17 ·
LOL. It's like putting all terrains on a trail Jeep. Great for trails...as long as they're dry.

#20 ·
You'll be happy with that setup.

4wheelonline is where I got mine. Might price check them against DK.

#22 ·
I think you'll be much happier with the mud bugs that you would've with the bighorns. Mud bugs are a great intermediate mud tires that will pull in mud but still tame enough on the trails. I think you'll be happy. I don't have experience with midbugs but I do with gbc gators and they are very similar tires. Mud bugs and zillas are my favorite tires that max is makes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.