Slightly Abused 450es - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Slightly Abused 450es

Hello all, I have recently purchased a 01 Foreman 450 ES and I got it for $760, that being said there is a good amount of work that needs to be done to it. I have been researching all the issues I am currently having with it and have found some great information on this site. (1) The first issue I am having is the shifting. I will be going through the bike soon and using the guide I have found on this website, But when I use the manual shift it is hard to move and sticks, for instance if I pull up on the shift lever it will be stuck in the up position and the quad will not move until I push it down a bit, I am not sure what this could be? (2) The electric start is rigged so I have just touch a wire to the positive terminal on the battery and the bike seems to run off the alternator at the moment if anyone has a picture of the battery area without the seat that would be great, there is currently two wires hanging out in there and a missing solenoid which I have purchased already. (3) the steering is very loose a good size gap when turning before the bars move the wheels.(haven't looked into this yet) (4) no brakes at all (also haven't looked into this yet) (4) Front diff mount cracked (planning to JB weld and make a steel mount to sandwich that bad boy in there for now. This is my first quad I have rebuilt 1 GSXR sportbike and replaced many parts / engines. But I am new to Hondas / Utility wheelers. This is my first quad just feeling out the sport. That is the start for now, once the weather warms up I will be tearing into it more and seeing how much its been abused lol. Starts right up and idles great. Also should I adjust the valves or do any preventative maintenance? Thanks all, I will post pictures and progress.

The 05 TRX450 in the background is my buddies I am helping him work on, if anyone is selling an engine for it let me know!

Last edited by Ryan Patrick; 01-11-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

There is a clutch adjustment on the front of the engine case. That would be my first step on the shifting (google Honda atv clutch adjustment)

I wouldn't run it without a battery. One that old you might be ok, but on most running them without a battery can give voltage spikes that will fry the rectifier and/or other ignition bits.

Steering look at the bottom of your steering stem and see if the nut is on there tight, and you'll probably need new inner and outer tie rod ends.

Brakes will be drum and probably more time and expense to fix than they are worth. Look for someone parting an 05-11 Foreman 500 or 05-14 Rubicon and get the disc front brakes and swap them onto your A-arms. Replace ball joints and bearings on the new knuckles before you install them, and put new upper ball joints on the upper A Arms
Advrider likes this.

"The Good One"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Execs on Rubicon rims, Perfex
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

"The Wreck"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Mudbugs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

"The Project"
2006 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Titan 589's Perfex with HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

"Sandy" aka the wife's
2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

There is a clutch adjustment on the front of the engine case. That would be my first step on the shifting (google Honda atv clutch adjustment)

I wouldn't run it without a battery. One that old you might be ok, but on most running them without a battery can give voltage spikes that will fry the rectifier and/or other ignition bits.

Steering look at the bottom of your steering stem and see if the nut is on there tight, and you'll probably need new inner and outer tie rod ends.

Brakes will be drum and probably more time and expense to fix than they are worth. Look for someone parting an 05-11 Foreman 500 or 05-14 Rubicon and get the disc front brakes and swap them onto your A-arms. Replace ball joints and bearings on the new knuckles before you install them, and put new upper ball joints on the upper A Arms
Thanks for the response, know of any write ups to do the rotors on the 450es? and custom fabrication// needed parts

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Not a write up.

If you look at your existing brakes, you'll see an upper ball joint and a lower ball joint. You take everything outboard of those off, and then the disc brakes go back on at the ball joints. Your existing axles and A-arms are kept.

Here is a 350 Rancher I just did the same thing on. You can see the difference in the disc brakes and your existing drum brakes.

420 Rancher discs fit 350 Ranchers, and 05-11 Foreman and 05-14 Rubicon disc brakes fit 450 Foremans and 01-04 Rubicons.

I actually have a set of 500 Foreman discs I'm putting on a buddy's 03 Rubicon whenever he brings it to me. If you haven't done the swap by then I'll post up a how-to. I figure he's waiting till after deer season to drop it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	35561   Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	35569   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	35577  

"The Good One"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
5K Viper Max winch

"The Wreck"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

"The Project"
2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

"Sandy" aka the wife's
2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Oh Boy

Finally got some time to look into this quad, I removed the plastics and tires last night and didn't like what I was seeing lol. Should have spent a little more but it is what it is. The oil cooling fan has two wires that go no where at the moment, I might hook it up to always run when the wheeler is on unless someone can tell/show me where all the wires go. Thoughts? the fan seems to be hitting something, I will take it out hopefully today and see what is going on.

Might chop the snorkel down a bit and reseal it (no plans to be swimming with my quad)

Going to have to do some welding, there is a crack in the front somewhere that also needs attention.

No idea where or what these wires should be connected too.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Oil Temp Sensor?

Assuming this is a OIL temp sensor where does it go in the engine? I found it just hanging by itself.. I took the wires off and touched them together, it sparks and melts wire instead of triggering oil temp light.

Also included a picture of my wheels, Just got done painting and mounting them.

Update* Electric start is fixed, electronic start has been fixed, and my front differential is WRECKED.. It contained mud and water... also my axle shafts will not come out. It will be RWD for the time being
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_190642.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	35674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_180509.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	35682  

Last edited by Ryan Patrick; 01-23-2017 at 08:19 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
I would go on EBay or go to a scrapper and pick up an entire wiring harness. You'll never get that mess right without something not working or the bike catching fire. Ran into a similar issue with an '85 250sx I'm building, bought a used harness - all issues fixed.

Normally id say part the bike out, but your lucky you live somewhere the frame isn't rusted out. Weld up the cracks and start making repairs to make it ride able. If you get to a point where its not worth it you can always part it out, take the money and look for something else.

The manual shifter will be stiffer on an ES bike than an S because your moving the gear set for the electric shift motor. When the shifter is up all the way the bike wont move because up all the way upshifts the bike and disengages the clutch. If you hold up on the shifter on an S bike it will do the same thing. Your shifter is probably stiffer than it should be due to mud or corrosion, you shouldn't have to push the shifter down even on an ES bike.

You can check out my website Shed-Headz, there's a "Projects in the Shed" page where you will find my Project Foreman. There's lots of pics there over the last 10 years of working on it.

For ATV projects and crew adventures you can check out my site www.shed-headz.com.

1998 Foreman 450s - not stock
1985 Honda 250sx - in progress
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks action450s, you have a lot of good info on Shed-Headz. I have repaired the frame damage, electric start, electric shift, put on a new seat cover and a few other miscellaneous things. My main problems now are monitoring engine temperature, fixing or replacing front differential/axles, and smaller issues like ball joints, leaky carburetor, wrong airfilter, and sealing the airbox.

I need to find out how to wire up this temperature sensor and even where it goes on the engine.. I have now idea why its just hanging and I was running out of time yesterday to track everything down. I am most likely going to hard wire the fan to a switch but I do not have a way to monitor my engine temperature, Do these quads have any overheating problems?

I also checked my oil and it looks a little milky, going to change it a few times and keep an eye on it as I go.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
2001 Honda TRX450ES A CRANKCASE | Powersports Discount

That honestly looks more like a coolant temp sensor from a Rubicon that an oil temp sensor, but I'm not familiar with the 450's.

Looks like it goes in the bottom of the rear of the crankcase somewhere. Hard to tell from the schematic.

"The Good One"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
5K Viper Max winch

"The Wreck"
2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

"The Project"
2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

"Sandy" aka the wife's
2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
2001 Honda TRX450ES A CRANKCASE | Powersports Discount

That honestly looks more like a coolant temp sensor from a Rubicon that an oil temp sensor, but I'm not familiar with the 450's.

Looks like it goes in the bottom of the rear of the crankcase somewhere. Hard to tell from the schematic.
So that temp sensor ended up being a carburetor heater! I have never heard of such a thing!! I am amazed!!! I was in the dealer getting filters and I showed a picture to one of the employees lol... I never would have thought it went there.. I found it hanging next to the carb BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page